Lawmakers, Obama close to deal but can't quite reach it | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Politics & Government

Lawmakers, Obama close to deal but can't quite reach it

David Lightman, William Douglas and Steven Thomma - McClatchy Newspapers

April 07, 2011 12:38 PM

WASHINGTON — The threat of a Saturday morning federal shutdown grew more likely Thursday as White House and congressional budget negotiators failed to seal a deal to keep the government open.

President Barack Obama, House Speaker John Boehner of Ohio and Senate Majority Harry Reid of Nevada met Thursday afternoon and reconvened in the evening. They were close on spending cuts but not on social policy restrictions favored by Republicans.

“We pretty much have a consensus on the right level of cuts and where they should come from,” said Senate Democratic Policy Committee Chairman Charles Schumer of New York.

But Democrats struggled to overcome Republican insistence on provisions to block funds for environmental and women’s health programs.

“We have been against them from the beginning and we’re not changing, nor should we. These are fights that have nothing to do with the deficit,” Schumer said.

The Republican-dominated House of Representatives added to the growing tension as it defied a presidential veto threat and approved a new plan to keep the government open for a week while also cutting $12 billion from domestic spending and fully funding the Pentagon for the remaining six months of this fiscal year.

The Democratic-majority Senate is certain to reject those terms, and the White House said Obama would veto it if it ever reached his desk.

If no deal is reached by midnight Friday, the government will be out of money. Essential federal services would continue, such as law enforcement, Social Security checks and mail delivery. Military troops would remain on duty, but would get paid retroactively.

But national parks and museums would close, and an estimated 800,000 federal civilian employees classified as “non-essential” would be furloughed. Most federal agencies would see their operations closed or curtailed.

Democrats had offered to cut $33 billion in spending over the final six months of this fiscal year; Republicans, who originally sought $61 billion, sought $40 billion going into the final talks.

Obama signaled that he’s willing to accept some social policy changes as part of a deal, but he, like other Democrats, draws the line at changes to abortion policy, federal funding for environmental programs or Planned Parenthood, which provides women’s health counseling.

The White House thinks Boehner is under pressure to stand firm because Republican incumbents fear conservative tea party primary challenges next year if they compromise with Democrats on spending priorities.

The fight over fiscal 2011 is the opening salvo in what’s likely to be a yearlong political confrontation over spending. Republicans won control of the House last year with a pledge to slash the size of government, and next week they plan to vote on a package that would cut $6.2 trillion from anticipated spending over the next 10 years.

Lawmakers from both parties urged a deal to resolve the current year’s stalemate quickly so that they can concentrate on the longer term.

While many officials were confident Thursday evening that a final compromise was within reach, details still had to be determined, and concern was growing that the government could endure its first shutdown in 15 years.

Without a deal, said Reid, “we’ll of course have to look forward to a bad day tomorrow, which is a government shutdown.”

The politicians also prepared to deflect blame.

While the negotiators met, the House took its own partisan step to keep the government open, voting 247-181 for the one-week funding bill. Their plan, supported by 232 Republicans and 15 Democrats, but opposed by 175 Democrats and six Republicans, would cut $12 billion from this year’s spending but keep the Pentagon funded for the entire fiscal year.

Democrats used the bill to paint Republicans as pawns of the tea party, the grassroots conservative movement that helped elect dozens of congressional Republicans last year.

“I think John Boehner is fighting the right wing within his own party. The John Boehner I used to know would have tried to work out a deal that was fair,” said Rep. Jim McGovern, D-Mass.

“It’s such a stupid thing to have happen,” McGovern said of a potential government shutdown. “I hope the Republicans become more sensible in the next few hours. But just in case, I’m going to church to light a candle.”

Republicans, saying they weren’t eager for a shutdown, insisted they had taken tough steps to cut spending, only to be blocked by Democrats trying to score political points.

“We are opposed to the status quo,” said Rep. Mike Simpson, R-Idaho. “We want to get our fiscal house in order.”

Why not at least vote to support the troops, asked Rep. C. W. Bill Young, R-Fla. “They’re not doing their job,” he said of Democrats. “What they’re doing _ they’re running the 2012 elections on the backs of the military.”

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Senate rejects 2 partisan budget plans, setting up new talks

As short-term budget talks drag on, house GOP rolls out long-term plan

If the government shuts down, here’s how it will work

Related stories from McClatchy DC

national

Feds ready employees for possible government shutdown

April 07, 2011 06:45 PM

politics-government

Still no budget deal as federal shutdown looms closer

April 06, 2011 06:28 PM

politics-government

If the government shuts down, here's how it would work

April 06, 2011 12:25 PM

Read Next

Video media Created with Sketch.

Midterms

Democrat calls for 48 witnesses at state board hearing into election fraud in NC

By Brian Murphy and

Carli Brosseau

December 30, 2018 07:09 PM

Democrat Dan McCready’s campaign listed 48 witnesses for the state board of elections to subpoena for a scheduled Jan. 11 hearing into possible election fraud in North Carolina’s 9th Congressional District.

KEEP READING

MORE POLITICS & GOVERNMENT

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Investigations

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service