Crist settles suit with Talking Heads over song in attack ad | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Politics & Government

Crist settles suit with Talking Heads over song in attack ad

Marc Caputo - Miami Herald/St. Petersburg Times

April 11, 2011 06:20 PM

TALLAHASSEE — Former Florida Gov. Charlie Crist has quietly settled a lawsuit filed by Talking Heads musician David Byrne who accused the one-time Republican candidate of misappropriating a song in an attack ad.

The details of the settlement, which was tentatively reached last week in Tampa, are confidential. During the talks, some observed that Crist and Byrne palled around and seemed like old friends.

"It was kind of like that," Crist said with a laugh. "He's a wonderful guy. A very kind man. I really have great respect for him. He's an incredible artist. We had a good interaction last week and a nice settlement. And I'm very pleased."

Crist was represented by his new employer, trial attorney John Morgan, in mediation.

Byrne had sued for $1 million after Crist's U.S. Senate campaign released a January 2010 YouTube web video that attacked Marco Rubio and featured the 1985 Talking Heads' hit "Road to Nowhere."

Crist's campaign did not seek permission from Byrne, other members of the Talking Heads or Warner Brothers.

Byrne found out about it and quickly demanded that Crist's campaign pull the ad off the web, which it did. But Byrne didn't stop there. He pressed ahead with a suit alleging copyright infringement.

"I was pretty upset," Byrne told Billboard.com last year. The suit, he told Billboard.com "is not about politics...It's about copyright and about the fact that it does imply that I would have licensed it and endorsed him and whatever he stands for."

Also named in the federal suit: Crist's longtime campaign-ad team, The Stevens & Schriefer Group and its subsidiary, Red October Productions. Stevens & Schriefer argued in court filings that Crist's campaign requested the work and that the firm "had no control over the use of materials after submitting them to Crist."

But Crist's team argued that Stevens & Schriefer should have been the ones to receive permission.

Crist wasn't the only Senate candidate who ran afoul of copyrighted songs. Rubio, who ultimately won the race, was rapped by The Steve Miller Band for using its 1976 hit "Take the Money and Run" in a YouTube ad that attacked Crist.

Unlike Crist's campaign, Rubio wasn't sued.

Read more of this story at MiamiHerald.com

Read Next

Video media Created with Sketch.

Midterms

Democrat calls for 48 witnesses at state board hearing into election fraud in NC

By Brian Murphy and

Carli Brosseau

December 30, 2018 07:09 PM

Democrat Dan McCready’s campaign listed 48 witnesses for the state board of elections to subpoena for a scheduled Jan. 11 hearing into possible election fraud in North Carolina’s 9th Congressional District.

KEEP READING

MORE POLITICS & GOVERNMENT

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Investigations

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service