Lawmakers threaten to subpoena White House budget official | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Politics & Government

Lawmakers threaten to subpoena White House budget official

David Goldstein - McClatchy Newspapers

May 10, 2011 06:56 PM

WASHINGTON — Two House of Representatives committee chairmen threatened Tuesday to subpoena a top White House official who's refused to testify at their joint hearing Thursday.

The hearing is about a draft executive order that would require prospective government contractors to disclose contributions to groups that air campaign ads.

The proposed rule is intended to thwart the impact of a U.S. Supreme Court decision last year that opened up campaign spending floodgates in the 2010 elections from donors who weren't required to be identified in certain instances.

But critics contend that the order would open the contracting process to potential political favoritism.

California Republican Rep. Darrell Issa, who chairs the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, and Missouri Republican Rep. Sam Graves, the head of the House Small Business Committee, invited Jack Lew, the director of the White House Office of Management and Budget, to testify. Lew wrote the chairmen last week that the order was "still moving through the standard review and feedback process," and he declined to testify.

They replied Monday that his refusal was "perplexing," noting that "OMB's interest in feedback on this executive order extends only to its own echo chamber."

Graves couldn't be reached for comment. Small Business Committee spokesman Darrell Jordan said the panel wanted Lew to testify because the OMB gave contracting guidance to other agencies.

Graves and Issa also said that labor unions, major funders of Democratic campaigns, received federal grants but weren't mandated to disclose their political contributions.

Democrats aren't united on the issue. House Minority Whip Steny Hoyer of Maryland said that linking government contracts to campaign disclosure could politicize the process.

The U.S. Chamber of Commerce, a major donor to Republican candidates, agreed.

The proposed order, chamber spokeswoman Blair Latoff said, "injects a very real chance that prospective contractors that fund political causes unpopular with the government or the current administration may find that they don't get a contract award due to political discrimination."

But Craig Holman, a campaign finance expert at Public Citizen, a nonprofit consumer advocacy group, said that about a dozen states already had similar requirements.

"It makes those records available to the public, so the public can discern whether or not government contracts are being awarded based on campaign contributions rather than on merit," he said.

Legislation that would have enacted similar revisions failed to pass Congress last fall.

Millions of dollars ended up flowing to outside groups in the 2010 congressional elections as a result of the high court's decision, known as the Citizens United case. They used the money to pay for advertising in key contests throughout the country without having to identify the donors.

Democrats claim that the money largely aided Republicans, who were the big victors last fall, winning control of the House.

Still, even as the administration tries to tighten disclosure requirements, Democrats probably will take advantage of those rules and set up their own independent advertising efforts in 2012 to combat the groups that support GOP candidates.

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Follow the latest politics news at McClatchy's Planet Washington

Campaign spending by outside groups tops $257 million

Meet the lawyer who argued money is speech, and won

Does big ad spending matter if voters just tune it out?

Read Next

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

By Emma Dumain

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Rep. Jim Clyburn is out to not only lead Democrats as majority whip, but to prove himself amidst rumblings that he didn’t do enough the last time he had the job.

KEEP READING

MORE POLITICS & GOVERNMENT

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Investigations

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM

Congress

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service