U.S. Attorney Holding to leave after John Edwards case | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Politics & Government

U.S. Attorney Holding to leave after John Edwards case

J. Andrew Curliss - The (Raleigh) News & Observer

June 02, 2011 07:23 AM

The top federal prosecutor for the eastern third of North Carolina is expected to be replaced upon conclusion of the investigation of former U.S. Sen. John Edwards, whose actions are under review by a grand jury.

If there isn't a plea deal, Edwards could be indicted as soon as this week, marking the beginning of a pre-trial phase for the case.

George E.B. Holding, a Republican, has been the U.S. attorney in Raleigh since his appointment by President George W. Bush in 2006 - and he has remained in the post under an agreement involving North Carolina's two senators to allow the probes of Edwards and former Gov. Mike Easley to finish on Holding's watch.

Edwards and Easley are Democrats, and the senators agreed to let Holding see the probes through to eliminate any questions about stifling the probes by removing the top prosecutor. Easley pleaded guilty to a felony last year in state court, ending the federal interest in him.

President Barack Obama has already nominated a replacement, Thomas Walker of Charlotte, who still must be confirmed by the U.S. Senate.

Sen. Kay Hagan, a Democrat, said in a statement Wednesday: "I am looking forward to (Walker) being the next U.S. Attorney in the Eastern District - as soon as the investigation is complete."

Sen. Richard Burr, a Republican, has been "aware of the progress being made" and also backs Walker for the job, said a spokesman, David Ward.

The senators had used a procedure known as withholding a "blue slip" to keep Walker's nomination from advancing. Burr "will return his blue slip once it is clear that all investigations have been completed," Ward said.

Neither Hagan nor Burr would publicly elaborate on precisely when they would take action to begin confirmation of Walker for the post.

Obama has the authority to ask Holding to step down at any time, aside from the nomination process to replace him. An acting U.S. attorney would step in on an interim basis.

The White House has generally been deferring to the Senate process of replacing U.S. attorneys.

To read the complete article, visit www.newsobserver.com.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

HOMEPAGE

In-depth John Edwards coverage from The (Raleigh) News & Observer

June 23, 2009 07:55 AM

Read Next

Congress

Lindsey Graham finds himself on the margins of shutdown negotiations

By Emma Dumain

January 04, 2019 04:46 PM

Sen. Lindsey Graham is used to be in the middle of the action on major legislative debates, but he’s largely on the sidelines as he tries to broker a compromise to end the government shutdown.

KEEP READING

MORE POLITICS & GOVERNMENT

Congress

Who will replace Roberts? Kansas senator’s retirement could spur wild 2020 race

January 04, 2019 04:12 PM

Immigration

Trump officials exaggerate terrorist threat on southern border in tense briefing

January 04, 2019 05:29 PM

White House

HUD delays release of billions of dollars in storm protection for Puerto Rico and Texas

January 04, 2019 03:45 PM

Congress

Kansas Republican Pat Roberts announces retirement, sets up open seat race for Senate

January 04, 2019 11:09 AM

Congress

Mitch McConnell, ‘Mr. Fix It,’ is not in the shutdown picture

January 04, 2019 05:14 PM

Congress

Here’s when the government shutdown will hurt even more

January 04, 2019 03:25 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service