Holder, McConnell at odds over Kentucky terror suspects | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Politics & Government

Holder, McConnell at odds over Kentucky terror suspects

Halimah Abdullah - McClatchy Newspapers

June 17, 2011 07:05 AM

WASHINGTON — U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder Thursday night strongly defended plans to keep two accused terrorists in the United States to stand trial in federal court.

His position puts him at odds with Kentucky politicians and Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, who want the two Iraqi-born Bowling Green residents to be moved to a detention facility at Guantánamo Bay, Cuba.

Republican gubernatorial candidate David Williams, in a statement released Wednesday night, announced his agreement with McConnell.

"These terrorists have plotted against our soldiers and therefore deserve to be tried in a military court," Williams said.

"Furthermore, Kentucky taxpayers would be responsible for the terrific financial costs associated with a trial."

His Democratic opponent in the November election, Gov. Steve Beshear, said in response to Williams: "I am fine with the federal government sending them to Guantánamo Bay. My main concern is to get them out of Kentucky."

Brian Wilkerson, a spokesman for House Speaker Greg Stumbo, D-Prestonsburg, said Stumbo also supports moving the suspects to Guantánamo.

But Holder, in a speech at the American Constitution Society convention, was sharply critical of "some in Congress" who "claim that utilizing our civilian court system — as we have for more than 200 years — would somehow jeopardize public safety."

He did not specifically mention McConnell, who had said earlier in the day: "Send them to Guantánamo where they belong. Get these terrorists out of the civilian system — and out of our back yards. And give them the justice they deserve."

McConnell had said earlier in the week that Kentucky could face retaliatory attacks if the suspects are held in the state.

McConnell will be in Bowling Green on Friday to discuss the situation with local officials. Waad Ramadan Alwan, 30, and Mohanad Shareef Hammadi, 23, were arrested there earlier this month on charges of plotting to send arms to their home country to be used against U.S. troops. They pleaded not guilty and could face life in prison if convicted in federal court.

Holder said there is no more powerful tool than the civilian court system in disrupting potential attacks and effectively interrogating, prosecuting and incarcerating terrorists.

"I don't need to be told — by anyone — about the seriousness of the dangers we face. I begin each day with a briefing on the most urgent threats made against the United States in the preceding 24 hours. I know that — in distant countries, and within our own borders — there are people intent on, and actively plotting to, kill Americans," he said.

"Despite this reality, we continue to see overheated rhetoric that is detached from history — and from the facts," Holder said. "We see crucial national security tools, once again, being put at risk by those who disparage the American criminal justice system, and misguidedly claim that terror suspects cannot be tried safely in our civilian courts."

Since the Sept.11, 2001, attacks, hundreds of defendants have been convicted in the federal court system of terrorism or terrorism-related violations, said Justice Department spokesman Dean Boyd.

"Critical decisions on national security cases should be handled by the veteran counterterrorism agents, intelligence analysts and prosecutors around the country who for years have been doing this work for a living — often at great risk to themselves — not politicians looking to score political points," Boyd said. "Decisions about how, where and when to prosecute suspects, particularly terrorism suspects, must always be free of external political pressure."

Lexington Herald-Leader Frankfort reporter Beth Musgrave contributed to this report.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

national

McConnell says Kentucky could face attack if terror suspects are held here

June 14, 2011 01:13 PM

crime

Two Kentucky men indicted on federal terrorism charges

May 31, 2011 02:24 PM

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE POLITICS & GOVERNMENT

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Investigations

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service