Bipartisan House vote defeats bid to defund ethics office | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Politics & Government

Bipartisan House vote defeats bid to defund ethics office

Curtis Tate and Jim Morrill - McClatchy Newspapers

July 22, 2011 05:18 PM

WASHINGTON — The House of Representatives on Friday roundly rejected a move to cut the budget of the Office of Congressional Ethics by 40 percent.

On a bipartisan vote of 302-102, the House rejected the amendment offered by Rep. Mel Watt, a North Carolina Democrat who was investigated last year by the office.

"Today, lawmakers stood up for ethics by rejecting Watt's misguided amendment," Melanie Sloan, the executive director of Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington, a watchdog group, said in a statement. "Now lawmakers should take the additional step of strengthening the OCE by giving it subpoena power. The only lawmakers with anything to fear from an empowered OCE are those who have done something wrong."

Although Watt and seven of his colleagues were cleared of wrongdoing, in a letter Thursday to his colleagues Watt called the panel's procedures "unfair and abusive" and said that the more than $600,000 he proposed to cut from the office's budget "wastes taxpayer money."

Watt also said in the letter that he and his colleagues "incurred substantial expenses and experienced unjustified damage to their reputations in the middle of an election, and one of them actually lost his campaign."

Watt was referring to former Rep. Earl Pomeroy, D-N.D., who lost to a tea party-backed Republican in a tough year for Democrats.

On Friday, Watt said the amendment wasn't a personal retaliation against the ethics office.

"I wouldn't call it a 'personal vendetta,'" he said. "But I also wouldn't deny that my experiences had something to do with my view of this agency."

In 2008, Watt was one of the lawmakers who voted to create Office of Congressional Ethics. There was a widespread sentiment that the House Ethics Committee wasn't doing its job.

The ethics office acts as a sort of grand jury, making preliminary inquiries into ethics allegations against House members. If it finds reason to act, it refers cases to the House Ethics Committee.

Since its inception, the ethics office has reviewed 82 ethics complaints and sent 26 on to the ethics panel for action.

Supporters say the OCE has spurred the House panel to act. Since the OCE began, the Ethics Committee has taken twice as many disciplinary actions against members than it did in the preceding decade.

In his letter to colleagues, Watt calls the office redundant, since the Ethics Committee has similar responsibilities. Sloan said that's "laughable" given that the Ethics Committee is itself under investigation over its handling of an inquiry of Rep. Maxine Waters, D-Calif.

Watt's case stemmed from a 2009 Washington fundraiser. Two days later, Watt withdrew an amendment that would have put auto dealerships under the jurisdiction of a new Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. A member of the Financial Services Committee, he got contributions from several financial firms generally opposed to the new bureau.

The OCE unanimously dismissed the charges. Watt said the damage was already done.

"You can't imagine the venomous letters I got calling me a crook," he said. "You only have one reputation in life."

Watchdog groups say the Office of Congressional Ethics needs more funding, not less. Daniel Schuman, the policy counsel for the Sunlight Foundation, said the panel is "underfunded, under-resourced and doesn't have enough power to do its job."

"Firing the watchdog doesn't make the watchdog go away," Schuman said. "It just makes it angry."

Watt said he recommended changes to the ethics office in a March letter to House Speaker John Boehner and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi. Neither responded.

"I would have been comfortable to do away with the whole agency," Watt said. "But the primary objective ... was to get this out into a public discussion."

Friday's vote brought unusual alliances: 73 Republicans joined Watt and 27 other Democrats in supporting the budget cut. Most Republicans and an overwhelming number of Democrats voted against it.

Watt, who won 64 percent of the votes in the 12th Congressional District last year, suggested that some members made the politically safe vote.

"I can't tell you the number of people who came up to me and said, 'I can't vote with you but I agree with you,'" Watt said.

"It's people who knew the right thing to do and said, 'I'm going to take the politically expedient route and vote the other way,' that gives our institution a bad name," he said.

(Tate reported from Washington; Morrill, of the Charlotte Observer, from Charlotte, N.C.)

ON THE WEB

Watt's Dear Colleague letter

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Ethics office examining eight lawmakers over fundraising

Mel Watt cleared by panel

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE POLITICS & GOVERNMENT

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Investigations

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service