Nunes staffer says congressman won't challenge Feinstein | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Politics & Government

Nunes staffer says congressman won't challenge Feinstein

Michael Doyle - McClatchy Newspapers

November 07, 2011 04:58 PM

WASHINGTON — Rep. Devin Nunes, R-Visalia, is not running for the Senate seat now held by Democrat Dianne Feinstein, Nunes's chief of staff said Monday.

While falling somewhat short of a flat-out political declaration of permanent disinterest, the statement Monday seemed to step back from the congressman's earlier suggestions that he might be enticed into the Senate race.

"Devin is running for reelection to the U.S. House of Representatives, period," said the congressman's chief of staff, Johnny Amaral. "He's not running for the Senate."

Pressed as to whether this means Nunes is definitively ruling out a future challenge to Feinstein, Amaral repeated that "the reality is, he's not running" for the Senate.

Nunes is traveling this week as part of his work on the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence, and could not be reached to comment directly.

Bill Carrick, Feinstein's campaign adviser, indicated Monday that a statewide bid by Nunes would be a long shot in any event.

"His capacity to run a statewide campaign doesn't appear to be very strong," Carrick said. "He has a record that is far too right-wing to run in the state of California."

A 38-year-old conservative, first elected to the House in 2002, Nunes sparked questions about his potential statewide ambitions when he began running a series of television ads harshly attacking Feinstein in his San Joaquin Valley congressional district.

The ads began running last month and appear to have cost approximately $75,000, according to Carrick. Nunes, who has a safe GOP seat, paid for the ads using some of his surplus campaign funds; as of Sept. 30, Nunes reported having $1.35 million in available campaign cash.

Questions about Nunes' intentions further accelerated with publication over the weekend of a Gannett News Service article, in which Nunes left open the possibility he might run against the 78-year-old Feinstein.

"Could it be me? Sure," Nunes said, according to the Gannett article. "There would have to be a lot of things to fall in place."

Amaral stressed Monday, though, that Nunes has been trying to convince other Republicans, including Rep. David Dreier, R-San Dimas, or SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory physicist Charles Munger, to consider a run.

Dreier's name has repeatedly been floated as a potential Senate candidate over the years, but the veteran of 30 years in the House has never pulled the trigger. Munger, who holds a doctorate in physics from Stanford, previously helped bankroll a California redistricting initiative.

Munger could not be reached to comment Monday.

Other, higher-profile Republicans have steered clear of taking on Feinstein, who was first elected in 1992. Some GOP operatives salivate, though, over a September Field Poll that found 44 percent of Californians surveyed said they were "not inclined" to vote for her, compared to 41 percent who said they were.

"She's at an all-time low," Amaral said, but when it comes to Feinstein's next challenger, he added, "it's not going to be Devin."

Follow Michael Doyle on Twitter

ON THE WEB

Rep. Devin Nunes' web site

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY:

Time calls Nunes one of '40 under 40' politicians to watch

Nunes's take-no-prisoners tactics attract spotlight, criticism

Nunes's 32-page mailer draws mixed reviews

Read Next

Video media Created with Sketch.

Midterms

Democrat calls for 48 witnesses at state board hearing into election fraud in NC

By Brian Murphy and

Carli Brosseau

December 30, 2018 07:09 PM

Democrat Dan McCready’s campaign listed 48 witnesses for the state board of elections to subpoena for a scheduled Jan. 11 hearing into possible election fraud in North Carolina’s 9th Congressional District.

KEEP READING

MORE POLITICS & GOVERNMENT

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Investigations

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service