Clyburn wants Congress to reconsider forced spending cuts | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Politics & Government

Clyburn wants Congress to reconsider forced spending cuts

James Rosen - McClatchy Newspapers

November 29, 2011 05:59 PM

WASHINGTON — House Assistant Democratic Leader Jim Clyburn urged lawmakers Tuesday to consider stepping back from the mandatory spending cuts that are now in line because the deficit-reduction "supercommittee" failed to reach a deal last week on targeted reductions.

As a trade-off for raising the federal debt ceiling, Congress set up the special panel in August and gave it until Nov. 23 to find spending cuts that would lower the deficit by at least $1.2 trillion over a decade. If the panel couldn't find agreement, Congress said, automatic reductions would go into effect in January 2013.

The specter of forced widespread cuts was supposed to pressure the panel's six Democrats and six Republicans into bridging partisan divides to devise their own plan, but they announced a failure to do so just before Thanksgiving.

Clyburn, a member of the supercommittee, suggested Tuesday that maybe the mandated spending reductions aren't such a good idea after all.

"I would love to see us do something that would not require that those triggers get pulled," the South Carolina congressman told MSNBC. "Because if those triggers get pulled, it's across the board. It is going to be nasty. It would be a meat-ax approach, and I don't think that's the best way to do it. So there's still time."

Clyburn's stance puts him at odds with President Barack Obama, who

s vowed to veto any bill that removes the mandatory cuts.

Clyburn is usually a close ally of Obama's but he said he'd oppose the president's stance on the spending reductions if necessary.

"It won't be the first time I've been at odds with the White House," Clyburn said.

Obama Press Secretary Jay Carney reiterated the president's position Monday.

"The whole purpose of the design of the sequester (mandated cuts) was to make it so onerous for everybody that it would never come to pass," Carney said. "To change it so that it is not so onerous only relieves pressure on Congress. And obviously Congress needs an immense amount of pressure to get positive things done."

Some Republicans have said that Clyburn and other Democrats secretly prefer the forced reductions because key Democratic voters — including Social Security recipients, Medicare beneficiaries and many poor Americans who depend on welfare, food stamps and other federal support programs — would be spared much of the pain.

With the Pentagon slated to bear half the brunt of the forced cuts, Clyburn adamantly denies the Republican claims. He's warned of the potential impact on military facilities across the country, among them the Army's Fort Jackson and Shaw Air Force Base in his state.

Clyburn also is concerned about funding reductions for public colleges and universities.

He became the second member of the supercommittee, which was equally divided between senators and representatives, to suggest removing the would-be hammer of forced spending cuts.

Freshman Sen. Patrick Toomey, a Pennsylvania Republican, said Sunday that the reductions should be rejiggered to lessen the impact on the military.

"I think there's a broad consensus that too much of the cuts are weighted on our defense's capabilities," Toomey said. "And it would cut in deeply our ability to defend this nation. So I think it's important that we change the configuration."

Sen. Lindsey Graham, a member of the Senate Armed Services Committee who didn't sit on the bipartisan panel, said he'd be willing to take a fresh look at the mandatory reductions because of their potential damage to the Pentagon's budget.

Graham, a South Carolina Republican, cited a letter that he and Sen. John McCain of Arizona, the 2008 Republican presidential nominee, received from Defense Secretary Leon Panetta two weeks ago.

Panetta wrote that after a decade under the spending cuts, "we would have the smallest ground force since 1940, the smallest number of ships since 1915 and the smallest Air Force in its history."

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Clyburn most active fundraiser on debt panel

Clyburn calls on GOP to compromise on taxes

Sens. Graham and McCain target defense cuts

Deficit 'super' panelists not known for compromise

S.C. GOP lawmakers against tax compromise

Related stories from McClatchy DC

politics-government

Chambliss: Gang of Six will try again to repair nation's debt

November 29, 2011 05:13 PM

economy

Congress starts blame game; N.C lawmakers react

November 22, 2011 11:03 AM

economy

Congress' supercommittee collapses in failure, stock markets plunge

November 21, 2011 06:34 PM

economy

Poll: Public expects congressional supercommittee to fail

November 17, 2011 06:11 PM

economy

Clyburn at odds with fellow Democrats over Medicare cuts

November 11, 2011 05:53 PM

Read Next

Video media Created with Sketch.

Midterms

Democrat calls for 48 witnesses at state board hearing into election fraud in NC

By Brian Murphy and

Carli Brosseau

December 30, 2018 07:09 PM

Democrat Dan McCready’s campaign listed 48 witnesses for the state board of elections to subpoena for a scheduled Jan. 11 hearing into possible election fraud in North Carolina’s 9th Congressional District.

KEEP READING

MORE POLITICS & GOVERNMENT

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Investigations

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service