South Carolina AG to fight feds over voter ID law | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Politics & Government

South Carolina AG to fight feds over voter ID law

Noelle Phillips - The State (Columbia, S.C.)

January 11, 2012 07:23 AM

Three of South Carolina’s top political leaders announced Tuesday their plans to file a lawsuit against the U.S. Department of Justice’s decision to block the state’s controversial voter ID law.

Attorney General Alan Wilson said he will file a lawsuit within the next two weeks against the Justice Department in Washington D.C. district court.

It’s necessary, Wilson said, to protect the integrity of South Carolina elections.

“Our intent of the office is to look at this legislation through the litigation process and to ensure that no voter is suppressed in the right to vote and that the integrity of the electoral process is protected,” he said “That is of paramount importance that we protect the electoral process and ensure that voter irregularities and potential voter fraud is curtailed, curbed or prevented.”

Gov. Nikki Haley and House Speaker Bobby Harrell joined Wilson.

The law would require voters to show a photo identification card issued by the S.C. Department of Motor Vehicles or a U.S. military ID or a U.S. passport.

But last month, the Justice Department said the law would prevent black people from voting. It was first voter ID law to be refused by the department in 20 years.

Democrats responded to Tuesday’s announcement by saying any lawsuit would be an unnecessary legal battle that would cost the state’s taxpayers.

S.C. Rep. Todd Rutherford, D-Richland, said the Republican establishment was trying to keep minorities and poor people from voting.

“All they have done is create a problem that was not there,” Rutherford said. “They’re wasting the state’s money to defend it.”

When asked how much the lawsuit would cost the state, Wilson said he was not ready to put a dollar amount on it. The state has hired Paul Clement, a former U.S. Solicitor General in Washington D.C., and Chris Coates, a former Department of Justice official in Charleston, to represent the state, said Mark Plowden, a spokesman for the attorney general’s office.

While Haley, Harrell and Wilson said the state’s history was filled with voter fraud and the ID law was necessary to prevent it, none offered recent, specific examples of voters who attempted to vote twice or under someone else’s name.

Their arguments in support of the lawsuit included an inconsistent track record from the Justice Department in approving voter ID laws. They said a similar law in Georgia was approved and that the U.S. Supreme Court had upheld Indiana’s voter ID law. Also, they argued that the justice department used flawed numbers provided by the S.C. State Election Commission to review the law.

To read more, visit www.thestate.com.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

opinion

Commentary: Voter ID laws and life in the margins

January 10, 2012 01:41 AM

election

Justice Department objects to South Carolina's voter ID law

December 23, 2011 05:42 PM

Read Next

Video media Created with Sketch.

Midterms

Democrat calls for 48 witnesses at state board hearing into election fraud in NC

By Brian Murphy and

Carli Brosseau

December 30, 2018 07:09 PM

Democrat Dan McCready’s campaign listed 48 witnesses for the state board of elections to subpoena for a scheduled Jan. 11 hearing into possible election fraud in North Carolina’s 9th Congressional District.

KEEP READING

MORE POLITICS & GOVERNMENT

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Investigations

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service