Improvements at Arlington Cemetery, but problems remain | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Politics & Government

Improvements at Arlington Cemetery, but problems remain

Emily Seagrave Kennedy - McClatchy Newspapers

January 25, 2012 06:28 PM

WASHINGTON — Just a year and a half after condemning officials at Arlington National Cemetery for "heartbreakingly incompetent management," Democratic Sen. Claire McCaskill of Missouri and members of the Government Accountability Office complimented leaders Wednesday for progress made.

"The amount of progress that has been made is substantial and significant. Within 18 months, we have a completely different protocol at Arlington as it relates to accountability, and I think that's good," McCaskill said.

The marked praise came after the 2010 scandal involving the improper management of gravesites. Thousands of graves had been discovered to be improperly marked, burial urns with unidentified cremated remains had been found in landfills, and major bureaucratic discrepancies in burial documentation were discovered, with index cards being used in many cases to identify graves.

At a hearing Wednesday, GAO officials and Army leaders cited what they said were major improvements — including in strategic planning, workforce management and technology at the cemetery, but they noted that there was progress still to be made.

Officials said they're working on creating a database and an iPhone app to help visitors find the gravesites of their loved ones. They hope to release the app this summer, they said.

Meanwhile, problems remain. The Department of the Army reported Wednesday that its own internal re-inspection of the cemetery confirmed that the widely cited number of individuals buried at the cemetery, 330,000, had been underestimated. The re-inspection is continuing, but new data suggests that the figure is somewhere over 400,000.

Kathryn Condon, the executive director of the Army National Cemeteries, would not disclose the exact number, saying the investigation was ongoing.

"Because we have a team of about 40 individuals working on this, we should probably come to closure by this summer," she told lawmakers.

Just earlier this week, The Washington Post reported on mismanagement of other national cemeteries, citing a Department of Veterans Affairs National Cemetery Administration report that described scores of misplaced headstones and at least eight cases of people buried in the wrong places at several military cemeteries across the country.

Meanwhile, the Government Accountability Office on Wednesday issued another series of reports on Arlington, which found that the Army still has gaps in the cemetery's contracting system.

The report raised the possibility of transferring stewardship of Arlington to the Department of Veterans Affairs. But it said costs, as well as the fact that the Army has made great advances in improving oversight, should put the issue on the back burner for the time being. Condon said Wednesday that increased efforts were being made in "cross-training" with the VA.

Wednesday's hearing included testimony on two recent reports: one released by the Government Accountability Office early Wednesday, and another released by the Army in September.

The reports were made after an investigation into the cemetery's practices, leadership and daily management. Thurman Higginbotham, a former deputy superintendent at Arlington, and his boss, former Superintendent John C. Metzler, were forced to reassign from their positions in 2010.

Arlington National Cemetery is one of two national cemeteries run by the Department of the Army, while the Department of Veterans Affairs' National Cemetery Administration maintains 131 national cemeteries, as well as additional monument sites.

McCaskill said Wednesday that she would not feel settled on the issue until every gravesite was accounted for, so that "no tragedy like the one we saw unfold in 2010 is ever again reported."

David Goldstein also contributed to this article.

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

McCaskill: Arlington Cemetery has improved since scandal

Senate panel grills former Arlington cemetery officials

Sen. McCaskill wants answers to issues at Arlington National Cemetery

Read Next

Video media Created with Sketch.

Midterms

Democrat calls for 48 witnesses at state board hearing into election fraud in NC

By Brian Murphy and

Carli Brosseau

December 30, 2018 07:09 PM

Democrat Dan McCready’s campaign listed 48 witnesses for the state board of elections to subpoena for a scheduled Jan. 11 hearing into possible election fraud in North Carolina’s 9th Congressional District.

KEEP READING

MORE POLITICS & GOVERNMENT

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Investigations

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service