Shanksville remains aren't in landfill, Air Force head says | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Politics & Government

Shanksville remains aren't in landfill, Air Force head says

Nancy A. Youssef - McClatchy Newspapers

February 29, 2012 04:34 PM

WASHINGTON — The head of the Air Force on Wednesday disputed a report that some unidentified remains from the Sept. 11, 2001, plane crash site in Shanksville, Pa., had been disposed of in a landfill, casting more confusion on an episode that's embarrassed the Pentagon and Dover Air Force Base, which handles the remains of the nation's war dead.

A report commissioned by Defense Secretary Leon Panetta and released Tuesday had found that some unidentifiable remains of victims from the terrorist attack on the Pentagon and the United Airlines Flight 93 crash in Shanksville were "placed in sealed containers that were provided to a biomedical waste disposal contractor." The contractor eventually disposed of the remains in a landfill, the report said.

But during a breakfast with reporters Wednesday, Gen. Norton Schwartz, the chief of staff of the Air Force, said that those remains belonged only to victims at the Pentagon, not on Flight 93.

"Overnight, we've had an opportunity to review the report quickly and have had an opportunity to do some research on one of the fundamental questions that came up related to the remains of the fallen from 9/11," Schwartz said, according to an official Pentagon account.

Within hours of the report's release Tuesday, the coroner in Somerset County, Pa., where the crash occurred, and family members of the victims disputed the findings, saying that none of the Shanksville remains had gone to Dover.

The conflicting accounts despite multiple reports and investigations only deepened questions about the handling of the remains of America's fallen troops and whether the Pentagon can fix the long-standing problems at Dover.

After whistleblowers reported mishandling of troop remains at the mortuary, an Air Force probe concluded last fall that the partial remains of 274 service members had been incinerated and disposed of in a landfill. Inquiries by the Office of Special Counsel, an independent federal investigative and prosecutorial agency, also found instances of mishandled remains and that some at the mortuary had retaliated against the whistleblowers.

An independent panel led by Retired Gen. John Abizaid conducted its own review, which reported Tuesday that some 9/11 victims' remains also had been disposed of in this way. Abizaid refused to offer details on the 9/11 victims Tuesday, saying, "You'll have to ask the question elsewhere."

Pentagon officials offered little clarity on Schwartz's claim Wednesday. Schwartz and Michael Donley, the secretary of the Air Force, said they'd first learned about the improper disposal of 9/11 victims from the report.

Panetta's spokesman, George Little, said Wednesday that the Pentagon needed more information before it could brief 9/11 families on what had happened.

"The department is continuing to assemble records and information on the past practices of disposition of partial remains," Little said.

ON THE WEB Dover Port Mortuary Independent Review Subcommittee report

ON THE WEB

Dover Port Mortuary Independent Review Subcommittee report

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Pentagon: Some 9/11 victims' remains dumped in landfill

Violence suggests 'Afghans hate us, and we don't trust them'

Two U.S. soldiers killed as Afghan protests continue; NATO withdraws advisers from ministries

Related stories from McClatchy DC

politics-government

Pentagon: Some 9/11 victims' remains dumped in landfill

February 28, 2012 06:39 PM

Read Next

White House

Republicans expect the worst in 2019 but see glimmers of hope from doom and gloom

By Franco Ordoñez

December 31, 2018 05:00 AM

Republicans are bracing for an onslaught of congressional investigations in 2019. But they also see glimmers of hope

KEEP READING

MORE POLITICS & GOVERNMENT

Midterms

Democrat calls for 48 witnesses at state board hearing into election fraud in NC

December 30, 2018 07:09 PM

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Investigations

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service