Feinstein wants to replace stolen campaign money with new funds | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Politics & Government

Feinstein wants to replace stolen campaign money with new funds

Michael Doyle - McClatchy Newspapers

April 12, 2012 05:42 PM

WASHINGTON — The Federal Election Commission on Thursday raised sharp questions but came to no firm conclusion over Democratic Sen. Dianne Feinstein's bid for greater fundraising leeway in the wake of embezzlement by her former campaign treasurer.

The FEC will take more time to consider whether California politicians who were ripped off by former treasurer Kinde Durkee can solicit additional funds from individuals who already have reached their contribution limit. Feinstein wants contributors who previously maxed out to be able to replace their donations with more money.

"We're all sympathetic to your client," FEC commissioner Ellen Weintraub told Feinstein's attorneys Thursday morning, "but it's still a hard question."

Although the commission's legal staff had recommended rejecting Feinstein's request, the commissioners indicated they thought it was a close call. Several voiced concern over the potential "implications" for other campaigns of granting Feinstein's fundraising request.

"We have to do some special thinking," Commissioner Steven Walther said during the two-hour hearing. "We're in a tight spot, and we need to think this one out."

Feinstein wants contribution limits lifted following revelations that Durkee had embezzled millions of dollars from dozens of state and federal campaign treasuries.

Feinstein's campaign alone reported losing at least $4.5 million under Durkee's scheming last year. The Federal Election Commission's reasoning will apply to other former Durkee clients as well, and also will be closely watched by California's Fair Political Practices Commission.

Durkee, 59, has pleaded guilty to five counts of mail fraud and is awaiting sentencing.

As investigators discovered last year, Durkee commingled funds from her various political clients, repeatedly transferring money from one account to another and using embezzled funds to pay personal and business expenses.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation concluded that Durkee finagled more than $7 million out of more than 50 clients over several years.

"Embezzlement has become a bigger and bigger problem," Weintraub said. "I thought we had seen the worst of it until this case came along."

Prior to Durkee's arrest last year, Feinstein's campaign treasury reported having $5 million on hand. Following her arrest, the bank reported to Feinstein that only $662,000 was actually available. The First California Bank subsequently froze the account.

In response, Feinstein's campaign attorneys earlier this year requested an FEC advisory opinion about the campaign's proposed solution. The campaign — reasoning that the embezzled money was never really in the Feinstein campaign treasury — wanted to collect "replacement contributions" from individuals who had previously maxed out.

"Because the funds embezzled by Durkee were not 'accepted' by the committee or its agents, the donors who provided these funds should be permitted to replace their attempted contributions," Feinstein's attorneys wrote.

The FEC's legal staff acknowledged that some candidates in other cases have been allowed to re-solicit contributions from donors who already have given the maximum, but only when the original checks had been lost or otherwise not deposited. In Feinstein's case, the money had been accepted and was apparently in the Feinstein campaign treasury, even if only for a little while.

Commissioners also pressed Feinstein's campaign attorney Marc Elias on whether the campaign had adequately protected itself against potential embezzlement.

"The campaign committee did what was reasonably prudent," Elias insisted, adding, "I'm not sure what (else) you would have wanted the Feinstein campaign to do."

Individuals are currently permitted to contribute up to $2,500 to a candidate for each election; taking a primary and general election together, this adds up to $5,000.

In the wake of Durkee's embezzlement, Feinstein subsequently loaned her campaign $5 million. With the loan, Feinstein's campaign bankroll had $6.5 million available as of Dec. 31. She has been aggressively fundraising since, including holding a lunchtime event Wednesday at the Sanger, Calif., home of Nisei Farmers League President Manuel Cunha, followed by an evening event in a Fresno home.

Republican Elizabeth Emken, perhaps the highest-profile of the candidates maneuvering to challenge Feinstein, had not yet reported raising any money as of Dec. 31.

The FEC commissioners could take the case up again as soon as their next session, which is in May.

ON THE WEB

Federal Election Commission

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY:

California Sen. Feinstein shuns spotlight in reelection bid

Poll: Feinstein's support in California dips below 50 percent

Feinstein earmark quietly paves way for easier water sales

Follow Michael Doyle on Twitter

Read Next

Congress

Liberals push for a Green New Deal as the way forward on climate change

By Alex Daugherty

January 07, 2019 08:23 AM

A Green New Deal, prominently promoted by New York Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, has gained widespread attention in recent months as the path forward for climate change legislation.

KEEP READING

MORE POLITICS & GOVERNMENT

Congress

Here’s when the government shutdown will hurt even more

January 04, 2019 03:25 PM

Congress

Mitch McConnell, ‘Mr. Fix It,’ is not in the shutdown picture

January 04, 2019 05:14 PM

Congress

Lindsey Graham finds himself on the margins of shutdown negotiations

January 04, 2019 04:46 PM

Congress

Who will replace Roberts? Kansas senator’s retirement could spur wild 2020 race

January 04, 2019 04:12 PM

Immigration

Trump officials exaggerate terrorist threat on southern border in tense briefing

January 04, 2019 05:29 PM

White House

HUD delays release of billions of dollars in storm protection for Puerto Rico and Texas

January 04, 2019 03:45 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service