Some Bay of Pigs history to remain secret | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Politics & Government

Some Bay of Pigs history to remain secret

Mimi Whitefield - The Miami Herald

May 14, 2012 07:03 AM

A federal judge has ruled that the last volume in a CIA history of the Bay of Pigs invasion that was written more than 30 years ago and 51 years after the ill-fated Cuban mission should remain secret.

In an opinion released Thursday, U.S. District Court Judge Gladys Kessler said Volume V in the CIA’s Official History of the Bay of Pigs was a draft that was “rejected for inclusion in the final publication” and was exempt from disclosure under the Freedom of Information Act.

The Washington-based National Security Archive, a research institute and library, filed suit last year asking for declassification of all five volumes in the set after its previous FOIA requests were unsuccessful.

Volumes I, II, and IV were released last April. Volume III had actually been declassified in 1998 but researchers remained unaware of the fact until a Villanova university professor found it stashed in a box at the National Archives Kennedy Assassination Records Collection in 2005.

The National Security Archive called Kessler’s decision “a regrettable blow to the right-to-know.”

Volume V is a rebuttal by CIA historian Jack Pfeiffer, who died in 1997, of a report by the intelligence agency’s inspector general that found the CIA was primarily responsible for the failure of the invasion.

Who bears responsibility for the failure of the April 14-19, 1961, mission designed to topple the Castro regime has long been debated.

The CIA inspector general’s report concluded faulty intelligence, poor planning, inadequate staffing and failure to inform President John F. Kennedy there was little chance the mission would be successful were to blame. But Pfeiffer put the blame on the Kennedy White House.

The judge agreed with the CIA assertion that release of Volume V would have a chilling effect on current CIA historians who might be reluctant to try out “innovative, unorthodox or unpopular interpretations in a draft manuscript” if they thought it would be made public.

The CIA successfully showed release of Volume V “would harm the deliberative process,” making it exempt from disclosure under FOIA, Kessler said in her opinion.

“The idea that the CIA can advance the cause of accurate historical analysis by hiding history from the peer review of the public is preposterous,” said Peter Kornbluh, director of the National Security Archive’s Cuba Documentation Project.

The National Security Archive had argued that the passage of time should serve as a basis for disclosure of Volume V, but Kessler said the CIA had shown that the passage of time hasn’t “affected the rationale for invoking” the FOIA exemption.

Kornbluh noted an executive order by President Barack Obama that “no information shall remain classified indefinitely” and said the NSA would press the administration to force the CIA to adhere to the order.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

Final volume in CIA's official history of Bay of Pigs invasion still in dispute

April 16, 2012 08:45 PM

politics-government

Bay of Pigs report shows extent of CIA's power in 1960s

August 29, 2011 06:59 AM

world

CIA releases more Bay of Pigs invasion secret papers

August 03, 2011 07:07 AM

Read Next

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

By Emma Dumain

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Rep. Jim Clyburn is out to not only lead Democrats as majority whip, but to prove himself amidst rumblings that he didn’t do enough the last time he had the job.

KEEP READING

MORE POLITICS & GOVERNMENT

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Investigations

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM

Congress

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service