Prosecutors drop charges against ricin suspect; agents search another home | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Politics & Government

Prosecutors drop charges against ricin suspect; agents search another home

By Greg Gordon - McClatchy Newspapers

April 23, 2013 09:13 PM

Federal prosecutors abruptly dropped charges Tuesday against a Mississippi man accused last week of sending letters laced with poisonous ricin to President Barack Obama and Mississippi Sen. Roger Wicker, even as authorities promptly searched the home of another apparent suspect.

The man charged last week, Paul Kevin Curtis, had been released on bond hours earlier in Oxford, Miss., in a perplexing, fast-moving turn of events.

A federal magistrate’s brief court notice stated that charges against the 45-year-old suspect from the northern Mississippi town of Corinth were being withdrawn because “the ongoing investigation has revealed new information.”

Curtis’ attorneys have suggested in court that their client, who has behaved erratically and written angry, rambling posts on the Internet, was framed, noting that the sender signed two of them “I am KC and I approve this message,” just as Curtis typically did on his Facebook page.

However, U.S. Magistrate S. Allan Alexander in Oxford stated that the charges were being dismissed “without prejudice,” meaning that they could be reinstated if new evidence surfaced.

Curtis was arrested last week, two days after authorities intercepted letters containing ricin, a potentially deadly biological agent found in castor beans, addressed to Obama, Wicker, a Republican, and a Mississippi Justice Court judge.

The Associated Press reported that investigators for the FBI, U.S. Marshals Service and U.S. Capitol Police, some wearing protective suits to shield themselves from hazardous materials, searched the home of Everett Dutschke, a Tupelo resident, on Tuesday.

Dutschke told the AP that he is innocent and knows nothing about the ingredients for ricin. He said that agents asked him about Curtis, whether he would take a polygraph test and if he had ever bought castor beans.

“I’m a patriotic American,” the AP quoted him as saying. “I don’t have any grudges against anybody. I did not send the letters.”

Dutschke did not respond to a call from McClatchy.

Earlier, a third day of hearings over Curtis’ detention was cancelled without explanation. Curtis’ attorney has asserted that a search of Curtis’ vehicle and home found no evidence of ricin or devices that could be used to make it, the AP reported.

The FBI said last week that tests by an outside laboratory had confirmed the presence of ricin in the letters to Obama and Wicker. However, a federal law enforcement official familiar with the matter told McClatchy Tuesday that the tests did not indicate that the granular substance in the letters containing the biological agent was highly potent, or “weaponized,” which would have required a process to chemically extract the toxin from castor beans.

The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the investigation is ongoing, said that the incident appears to have gotten disproportionate attention in the news media and that the letters amounted to a sophisticated scare tactic.

At a news conference after he was released, Curtis thanked Wicker "for his kind words about me in the press. And for the record, I have always felt that he is a good and an honest man. I respect President Obama. I love my country and would never do anything to pose a threat to him or any other U.S. official."

Read Next

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

By Emma Dumain

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Rep. Jim Clyburn is out to not only lead Democrats as majority whip, but to prove himself amidst rumblings that he didn’t do enough the last time he had the job.

KEEP READING

MORE POLITICS & GOVERNMENT

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Investigations

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM

Congress

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service