Begich drops ad linking challenger to notorious crime | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Politics & Government

Begich drops ad linking challenger to notorious crime

By Sean Cockerham - McClatchy Washington Bureau

September 03, 2014 07:39 PM

Alaska Democratic Sen. Mark Begich has withdrawn a controversial T.V. ad that tried to link his Republican challenger Dan Sullivan to a horrific crime.

The Begich ad accused Sullivan, the state’s former attorney general, of allowing light sentences for sex offenders, singling out an incident from last year in which a man was released from jail and then allegedly killed a couple and sexually assaulted their toddler granddaughter.

The Alaska Department of Law said a database error led to the man serving a shorter sentence than he should have.

The fact-checking web site Politifact noted that the database error happened before Sullivan was attorney general and concluded that the Begich ad is “not only inaccurate, it makes an inflammatory accusation.” Politifact gave the commercial a “Pants on Fire” rating.

The attorney for the family of the victims sent the Begich campaign a letter complaining about the ad, saying that “you are tearing this family apart to the point that your ad was so shocking to them they now want to permanently leave the state as quickly as possible.”

The attorney asked Begich to pull the ad, and asked Sullivan to pull his commercial responding to Begich. Both campaigns said the ads will no longer run.

Read Next

Latest News

Republicans expect the worst in 2019 but see glimmers of hope from doom and gloom.

By Franco Ordoñez

December 31, 2018 05:00 AM

Republicans are bracing for an onslaught of congressional investigations in 2019. But they also see glimmers of hope

KEEP READING

MORE POLITICS & GOVERNMENT

Midterms

Democrat calls for 48 witnesses at state board hearing into election fraud in NC

December 30, 2018 07:09 PM

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Investigations

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service