Rubio takes shots at Obama’s ‘non-existent’ foreign policy, lays out own plans | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Politics & Government

Rubio takes shots at Obama’s ‘non-existent’ foreign policy, lays out own plans

By Chris Adams - McClatchy Washington Bureau

September 17, 2014 03:19 PM

In a wide-ranging speech that alternately took shots at the foreign policy – or lack thereof – of President Barack Obama and highlighted his own ideas, U.S. Sen. Marco Rubio laid out a case for a strong foreign policy and said “our nation is never isolated from the world.”

“There have always been those who argue that America shouldn’t concern herself with the affairs of the world – that what happens an ocean away bears little relevance to our people,” Rubio said in his prepared remarks for the Wednesday afternoon address. “Thankfully, there have also always been those who disagree – who argue that foreign policy is domestic policy, that our people’s interests and safety require defense capabilities so robust that they deter aggression and violence before they take hold around the world.”

The event was seen as a significant address by the Florida Republican, a potential 2016 presidential candidate. It set him apart from some of his potential Republican rivals who have indicated less willingness to use U.S. power in conflicts not directly involving the United States.

He spoke at an event hosted by the John Hay Initiative, in association with Concerned Veterans for America and The Project for the Common Defense.

Like his previous speeches on reinventing the American Dream and domestic policy, Rubio embedded a history lesson into his address, talking about threats the U.S. faced from the times of George Washington to the Cold War and beyond.

He said Obama had failed in his leadership, saying that a “striking shift has occurred at the hands of our current president.”

“The president’s foreign policy was once a failure – now it is simply non-existent,” Rubio said. “From Libya to Syria to Egypt to Ukraine, this administration simply shrugs as threats fester. When the administration does act, it fails to communicate any consistent rationale for military use."

He criticized the proposed reductions in the nation’s military strength, including in the numbers of ground troops, ships and planes; he said they are set to be reduced to pre-World War II or earlier levels.

To combat this decline in the nation’s combat strength, Rubio said that Obama should request additional funds for the military above what he requested earlier this year. He said the Navy needs to boost its number of ships, the Air Force needs to beef up its capabilities, and the Marine Corps and Army should reverse plans to reduce their sizes.

The full text of the speech is here.

Read Next

Latest News

Republicans expect the worst in 2019 but see glimmers of hope from doom and gloom.

By Franco Ordoñez

December 31, 2018 05:00 AM

Republicans are bracing for an onslaught of congressional investigations in 2019. But they also see glimmers of hope

KEEP READING

MORE POLITICS & GOVERNMENT

Midterms

Democrat calls for 48 witnesses at state board hearing into election fraud in NC

December 30, 2018 07:09 PM

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Investigations

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service