Adminstration expands program to aid youths | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Politics & Government

Adminstration expands program to aid youths

By Samantha Ehlinger - McClatchy Washington Bureau

September 30, 2014 05:01 PM

President Barack Obama launched the “My Brother’s Keeper” program earlier this year to develop strategies to help boys and young men “overcome barriers to success.”

Now the administration wants to encourage local officials to plan a “coherent cradle-to-career strategy,” according to Secretary of Housing and Urban Development Julián Castro.

On a conference call Tuesday with the news media, Castro, along with other federal officials and Minneapolis Mayor Betsy Hodges, said the “My Brother’s Keeper Community Challenge” is not a top-down federal effort, but an opportunity for local leaders to collaborate and create their specifically-tailored plans.

“We shouldn’t expect our children to beat the odds in order to get ahead,” Castro said.

Minneapolis is one of almost 150 cities that have signed onto the challenge. Hodges said it could not have come at a better time for the city.

“While we are one great city, we are not a great city for everyone, and we need everybody to be able to contribute to and benefit from our greatness,” she said. “A child’s opportunities in life are too often shaped by factors beyond his or her control.”

Castro said participating communities would host a Local Action Summit with key stakeholders to determine on which of six main goals they will focus. At the end of the process, about six months later, the community will publish its completed plan of action to accomplish those objectives.

Read Next

Latest News

Republicans expect the worst in 2019 but see glimmers of hope from doom and gloom.

By Franco Ordoñez

December 31, 2018 05:00 AM

Republicans are bracing for an onslaught of congressional investigations in 2019. But they also see glimmers of hope

KEEP READING

MORE POLITICS & GOVERNMENT

Midterms

Democrat calls for 48 witnesses at state board hearing into election fraud in NC

December 30, 2018 07:09 PM

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Investigations

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service