Obama requests $1B in aid annually for Jordan | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Politics & Government

Obama requests $1B in aid annually for Jordan

By Anita Kumar - McClatchy Washington Bureau

December 05, 2014 03:18 PM

President Barack Obama told King Abdullah II Friday that he hopes to increase the United States’s aid to Jordan to $1 billion a year -- a significant increase -- as the small nation continues to struggle to cope with more than one million refugees pouring in from nearby Syria.

Obama praised Jordan for working with the United States and its allies “in making slow but steady progress” to empower the moderate forces in Syria in an attempt to defeat the Islamic State terrorist group.

“Jordan is an important partner,” Obama said. “We had an extensive discussion about how to debilitate and destroy ISIL both in Iraq and Syria. Jordan has been working on this side-by-side with U.S. troops and other countries. We are making slow but steady progress, and we recognize that it is a long-term and extremely complex challenge.”

Obama will ask Congress to provide the money over three years, fiscal years 2015-2017. The current agreement, in effect between fiscal years 2010 and 2014, calls for $660 million in foreign assistance annually to Jordan, a country with just over 6 million people, according to United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees.

Obama announced the aid to help Jordan, Jordan, a key Middle East player and a longtime U.S. ally, as it faces increasing challenges from regional unrest, a huge refugee presence and high energy costs due to expensive foreign energy imports, National Security Council spokeswoman Bernadette Meehan said. It “signifies the administration’s long-standing and ongoing commitment to Jordan’s economic and security development, and to working closely with Jordan to support continued progress in implementing needed reforms, she said.

At their White House meeting Friday, the president and king also spoke about Israeli-Palestinian relations, negotiations with Iran and fighting a variety of groups, including Boko Haram and al Shabab.

The king thanked Congress, Obama and the American people for the aid. Jordanian Americans stand “shoulder to shoulder against extremism.”

“Our troops are very proud to be working together to combat ISIL in Syria and Iraq,” he sad. “We have a long-term commitment to bring a long-term solution to the region...The fight against ISIL is a global challenge to fight evil. It is a generational fight against extremism all over the world.”

The United States is the largest donor to Syrian refugees, including millions of dollars to Jordan, according to the U.S. Agency for International Development.

Abdullah, who studied in the United States and Europe, speaks flawless English and is a frequent visitor here, often meeting with film, technology and business leaders and once even touring Northern California on a Harley-Davidson motorcycle. The two met earlier this year at a tony retreat in the desert near Palm Springs.

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE POLITICS & GOVERNMENT

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Investigations

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service