House-Senate lawmakers unveil bipartisan “doc fix” bill | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Politics & Government

House-Senate lawmakers unveil bipartisan “doc fix” bill

By William Douglas - McClatchy Washington Bureau

March 19, 2015 05:36 PM

House and Senate leaders Thursday unveiled a bipartisan bill to end recurring pay cuts that doctors face under Medicare.

With participating physicians facing a 21 percent pay cut on April 1, lawmakers released a bill to replace Medicare’s "Sustainable Growth Rate" formula and end the so-called "doc fix" - temporary patches that Congress has approved 17 times to prevent slashing pay to doctors.

The language in the bill is similar to one introduced last year: It would repeal the SGR while instituting an 0.5 percent payment increases for five years while Medicare transitions doctors to a new system that emphasizes quality care over volume of care.

The bill also requires doctors to receive at least 25 percent of their Medicare revenue through the so-called Alternative Payment Models by 2019-2020.

"Finally, after unparalleled progress in recent years, both sides of the aisle have begun to understand that the long-term solvency of our Medicare system depends on taking this fight head-on together," said Rep. Michael Burgess, R-Texas.

The bill has bipartisan support but - with the April 1 deadline looming - it still has some significant hurdles to overcome. The measure is expected to cost more than $200 billion over 10 years. But lawmakers thus far have only figured out how to pay for $70 billion, which has raised concerns among conservative Republicans.

Senate Democrats are concerned about a provision in the bill that extends the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) for two years. CHIP is set to expire in September and Senate Democrats want it extended for four years.

"Introduction of this policy appears to be more about pushing an overall package I haven’t seen, rather than about the physician payment reforms my colleagues and I worked so hard to develop," said Sen. Ron Wyden, D-Ore., the ranking Democrat on the Senate Finance Committee. "A bill of this magnitude, on such a tight deadline, requires significant give and take to a balanced agreement that can pass both chambers."

Wyden wasn’t among the House and Senate committee chairs and ranking Democrats who signed onto the bill. But House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., were upbeat about the bill’s prospects Thursday.

"I'm not going to say we've got it all resolved yet, but I'm optimistic that we will get it resolved," House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, told reporters Thursday.

Pelosi said revamping the physician payment system is "something that has to happen."

"I think we’re on a path where everybody understands the seriousness of…addressing the SGR, the so-called doc-fix, so that seniors can have access to their doctors under Medicare," she said. "That’s important and we understand that has to happen."

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE POLITICS & GOVERNMENT

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Investigations

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service