White House says Sen. Blunt’s amendment would undermine Iran deal, threatens veto | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Politics & Government

White House says Sen. Blunt’s amendment would undermine Iran deal, threatens veto

By Lindsay Wise and Lesley Clark - McClatchy Washington Bureau

April 29, 2015 05:16 PM

The White House on Wednesday warned that President Barack Obama would veto any legislation that made a nuclear deal with Iran contingent on the release of American prisoners.

An amendment to do just that was introduced this week by Sen. Roy Blunt of Missouri.

The amendment was among four submitted by Blunt, a Republican, to the Iran Nuclear Agreement Review Act of 2015.

The bipartisan bill is a compromise hammered out between Republican Sen. Bob Corker of Tennessee and Democratic Sen. Ben Cardin of Maryland that would ensure congressional review of an agreement with Iran.

The bill is expected to come to a vote in the Senate this week, but amendments like Blunt’s have revived veto threats from the White House.

Blunt’s measure would add language to the bill that makes the agreement contingent on the release of three Americans in Iranian custody: Saeed Abedini, a pastor; Amir Hekmati, a former Marine; and Washington Post reporter Jason Rezaian. It also would require the administration to certify that Iran is working with American officials to locate and return FBI official Robert Levinson to the U.S.

Blunt’s other three amendments would require the administration to clarify U.S. policy toward an underground uranium enrichment facility in Iran, extend an annual Pentagon report on Iran’s military capabilities for a decade, and provide Congress with an assessment of nuclear cooperation between Iran and North Korea.

“My goal is to make the bill better,” Blunt said in a press call with Missouri reporters on Wednesday. “I don’t think (the amendment) kills the bill. I think these are issues that need to be debated.”

White House spokesman Josh Earnest told reporters on Wednesday that Blunt’s amendment requiring the release of U.S. citizens in Iranian custody would directly undermine the unanimous compromised reached din the Senate Foreign Relations Committee and would interfere with the ongoing negotiations between the international community and Iran.

Earnest said he’s confident that there will be strong opposition to Blunt’s amendments and others like them, mostly offered by Republican senators.

“But this is a process that will have to play out,” he said.

Blunt’s call for Hekmati’s release echoes a campaign by Veterans of Foreign Wars, the national veterans group based in Kansas City, Mo., to link the Marine veteran’s freedom to a potential deal with Iran.

“It’s what America does for her citizens — we bring them home,” said VFW National Commander John W. Stroud in a statement earlier this month. Stroud said he is particularly concerned about reports that Hekmati is being tortured.

Hekmati, a native of Flint, Mich., was arrested in Iran in 2011. Iranian authorities accused of spying, and sentenced him to death.

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE POLITICS & GOVERNMENT

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Investigations

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service