It’s looks like it’s going to be awhile before Hillary Clinton testifies on Capitol Hill.
The chairman of the House committee investigating the fatal attacks in Benghazi, Libya in 2012 said Thursday that he will not ask Clinton to testify until the State Department turns over a slew of documents.
In a letter to Secretary of State John Kerry, Rep. Trey Gowdy complains that the State Department has not “produced one single piece of paper responsive to the committee’s request for records” from Clinton aides’ emails.
Gowdy asked for the documents in November. He issued a subpoena in March.
“The pace of State Department document production has become an impediment to the progress of the committee,” Gowdy said. “Secretary Kerry promised in previous House testimony swift action when it came to producing department documents, now it is time for his department to explain why they have failed to keep his word.”
Clinton agreed last week to testify on Capitol Hill about using personal email for government business and about the attacks in Benghazi, Libya. Gowdy had planned to schedule a hearing for next week.
Democrats accuse Gowdy of postponing Clinton’s appearance to prolong the process as she runs for president.
“Republicans are on a fishing expedition for anything they can use against Secretary Clinton in her presidential campaign, and every time they come back empty-handed, they extend their trip at taxpayer expense,” Rep. Elijah E. Cummings, D-Md, ranking Member of the House Select Committee on Benghazi.