Key lawmaker urges move of detainee trials from Guantanamo | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Congress

Key lawmaker urges move of detainee trials from Guantanamo

Renee Schoof - McClatchy Newspapers

May 09, 2007 03:00 AM

WASHINGTON—It's so difficult for attorneys to represent detainees at Guantanamo that the U.S. government should look into moving the detainees to a military base in the United States for their trials by military commissions, Rep. John Murtha, a leading Democrat on defense issues in the House of Representatives, said Wednesday.

Marine Corps Reserves Col. Dwight Sullivan, who oversees military attorneys representing the detainees, agreed at a House hearing that it was logistically difficult to hold the military commission trials at Guantanamo. He suggested that detainees be taken for trials to a military base with secure facilities, such as Marine Corps Air Station Miramar, Calif., Weapons Station Charleston, S.C., or Fort Leavenworth, Kan.

Murtha said he'd suggest that to the Bush administration and would put off a decision on Guantanamo's future, which he sees as problematic but postponable.

Sullivan told the House Appropriations defense subcommittee that the Guantanamo courtroom is in a rat- and bug-infested building and there's little housing for attorneys and observers. Attorneys have to go to Guantanamo to meet with clients in person because faxes aren't allowed, e-mail is only for the military, phone service is limited and mail to and from the U.S. base on Cuba can take more than two weeks. Only one military commission case can be heard at a time because space is so tight, he said.

Guantanamo's commander, Rear Adm. Harry B. Harris Jr., testified that the court facility is adequate. He said detainees were able to send and receive mail and meet with lawyers. There were 1,400 lawyer visits to Guantanamo last year, Harris said.

Harris said Guantanamo detainees received formal hearings and annual reviews to determine whether they should remain in detention. About 80 of the roughly 380 men who are there now have been recommended for transfer or release, but are being held while diplomatic arrangements are worked out.

The Pentagon's principal deputy general counsel, Daniel J. Dell'Orto, said detainees shouldn't be sent to the United States for military commission hearings because they'd need high-security transportation and each trial would be a "media circus."

He also said that because U.S. courts guaranteed defendants certain rights, detainees might have additional constitutional protections if their hearings were conducted in the U.S., which could lead to their unwarranted release, in the Pentagon's view.

But Sullivan said that a military commission hearing, which operates under different rules from federal courts, already had been held in the U.S., so that issue was settled. The main difference would be that attorneys can't subpoena witnesses to appear in Guantanamo but could do so if the trial were in the U.S.

Since August 2004 the Pentagon has used military cargo planes to shuttle lawyers, staff, observers and reporters between Andrews Air Force Base outside Washington and the U.S. Navy base in remote southeast Cuba for court sessions. The last session produced the first conviction: Australian captive David Hicks pleaded guilty to serving as an al-Qaida foot soldier in Afghanistan under an agreement that he'd be returned to Australia.

The sessions are conducted in a former administrative building above an abandoned airstrip. Office and courtroom space is limited, as are guest quarters, staff and vehicles at the 45-square-mile base.

The government is requesting $10 million to build a facility at Guantanamo for the hearings.

Rep. James Moran, D-Va., said Pakistan or Afghanistan's northern alliance had turned over 86 percent of Guantanamo's detainees to the United States, which made him doubt that "these were the worst of the worst," as former Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld labeled them, because some prisoners from those sources have turned out to be victims of ransom schemes or mistakenly captured.

Moran noted that more than 200 Guantanamo detainees haven't been charged with war crimes but are still being held indefinitely. Dell'Orto said the United States was entitled to hold them "until the end of hostilities" to prevent them from "returning to the battlefield." Some administration strategists refer to the war on terrorism as "the long war" that may last several decades.

———

(Staff writer Carol Rosenberg contributed to this report from Miami.)

———

(c) 2007, McClatchy-Tribune Information Services.

Need to map

Read Next

Congress

Liberals push for a Green New Deal as the way forward on climate change

By Alex Daugherty

January 07, 2019 08:23 AM

A Green New Deal, prominently promoted by New York Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, has gained widespread attention in recent months as the path forward for climate change legislation.

KEEP READING

MORE CONGRESS

Congress

Lindsey Graham finds himself on the margins of shutdown negotiations

January 04, 2019 04:46 PM

Congress

Who will replace Roberts? Kansas senator’s retirement could spur wild 2020 race

January 04, 2019 04:12 PM

Congress

Kansas Republican Pat Roberts announces retirement, sets up open seat race for Senate

January 04, 2019 11:09 AM

Congress

Mitch McConnell, ‘Mr. Fix It,’ is not in the shutdown picture

January 04, 2019 05:14 PM

Congress

Here’s when the government shutdown will hurt even more

January 04, 2019 03:25 PM

Congress

Run or retire? Pat Roberts will announce his decision on 2020 Senate race Friday

January 04, 2019 08:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service