President Barack Obama’s proposal for shuttering the U.S. military prison for alleged terrorists at Guantánamo Bay in Cuba, which he sent to Congress on Tuesday, met with harsh criticism from South Carolina lawmakers worried about the possibility of detainees being transferred to their state.
The 21-page plan, which congressional legislation had required to be submitted by Tuesday, would transfer 30 to 60 detainees from Guantánamo to an unidentified high-security prison in the United States at an estimated cost of $290 million to $475 million.
The Pentagon scouted the U.S. Naval Consolidated Brig in Hanahan, South Carolina, last August as a potential site to transfer the detainees to. It lies five miles from North Charleston.
“The law could not be any clearer: President Obama does not have the authority to move dozens of dangerous terrorists from the detention facility at Guantánamo Bay to American communities,” Sen. Tim Scott, R-S.C., said in a statement Tuesday.
Here’s the question we should all ask ourselves: How does this make Americans safer? It doesn’t. It’s all bad, a bad decision and a bad idea. We’re talking about an open-ended timeline for these enemy combatants to be detained.
Sen. Tim Scott, R-S.C.
While the domestic sites under consideration would be equipped to secure the remaining detainees, many of whom never have been charged with crimes, critics worry that their presence might attract sympathizers and make nearby communities targets. Charleston is a national tourist destination with a metropolitan population of almost 700,000.
“Ultimately any location in America is a bad location from a national security standpoint. Why would you put 50 or so enemy combatants near any population center, whether it be in Colorado or Leavenworth or even a desert in Arizona?” Scott said in a call with reporters. “The reality is, from my perspective, any location (in the U.S.) puts in danger American lives unnecessarily.”
Two other domestic sites were surveyed: the Disciplinary Barracks in Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, and the country’s highest-security prison, the Federal Correctional Complex in Florence, Colorado, which has been dubbed the “Alcatraz of the Rockies.”
Scott, along with Sens. Pat Roberts, R-Kan., and Cory Gardner, R-Colo., has been a leading voice in opposition to shuttering the facility and transferring detainees to U.S. soil. The three senators sat together at Obama’s last State of the Union address last month as a symbol of protest of the upcoming plan.
South Carolina Republicans in the House of Representatives joined Scott on Tuesday in opposing Obama’s plan.
“The detainees housed in Guantanamo are the most dangerous terrorists. They should not be housed at the Charleston naval brig – adjacent to schools, churches, neighborhoods and ports. Congress and the American public have spoken on this issue and it is time that the president listened,” Rep. Joe Wilson, R-S.C., who has visited the facility twice, said in a statement Tuesday.
“Here we go again – another proposed unilateral decision by the president,” Republican Rep. Mark Sanford, whose district includes Charleston, said in a statement.
“My take is that this probably has more to do with political posturing and electioneering than making change, given that it’s these kinds of actions that have inflamed the American public and generated the level of enthusiasm that we’ve seen this year in the campaigns of Donald Trump and Bernie Sanders,” Sanford said.