Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump released a video statement Friday in response to a 2005 video in which he made lewd comments and bragged about groping women.
">

But Trump also took heat on the comments from fellow Republicans, some of whom called for him to drop out of the race.

Rep. Jason Chaffetz, R-Utah, withdrew his support for Trump late Friday night, telling Fox 13 of Salt Lake City that he can “no longer in good conscience” support his presidential campaign. Chaffetz called Trump’s comments “abhorrent and offensive.” Rep. Mike Coffman, R-Colo., called for Trump to drop out.

“No woman should ever be described in these terms or talked about in this manner,” said party chairman Reince Preibus. “Ever.”

House Speaker Paul Ryan, who had been scheduled to campaign Saturday with Trump, said he was “sickened” by the candidate’s lewd comments, and called on him to show respect for women. He added Trump was “no longer attending” their formerly planned joint appearance.

Trump later said Pence would stand in for him while he prepared for Sunday’s debate against Clinton.

Sen. Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., the senate majority leader, called the comments “repugnant and unacceptable,” noting that he spoke as the father of three daughters. And House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., said there was “no place” for Trump’s conduct or language.

In a statement, N.C. Gov. Pat McCrory said: "I condemn in the strongest possible terms the comments made by Donald Trump regarding women. I find them disgusting."

Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, who ran against Trump for the nomination, posted on Twitter that Trump’s comments were “reprehensible” and beyond apology.

October 7, 2016