Charles Barkley has never been one to hold his tongue. The outspoken pro basketball Hall of Famer has sounded off on issues of race, politics and socioeconomic inequality in the past, all while serving as a basketball commentator for TNT.
So when, two weeks ago, Donald Trump dismissed comments he made in a 2005 recording about groping women without their consent as merely “locker room talk,” sports fans were expecting Sir Charles, as he is known, to weigh in.
But even as dozens of other pro athletes roundly denounced Trump’s characterization and said they had never heard anything like what Trump said in their locker rooms, Barkley stayed quiet.
This Tuesday, he made his opinion known, and it was decidedly against the vocal consensus.
“"I'm against any form of sexual assault or sexual harassment," Barkley said in an interview with CNN. "But in the locker room, I've heard things and I've said things myself that I would not want to be repeated publicly.
"For people to act like they haven't heard stuff in the locker room, I think is disingenuous.”
Barkley did not reveal what any of those conversations were about, but he is not the first athlete to pass up the opportunity to bash Trump. New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady ignored a press conference question last week about whether he had ever heard language similar to Trump in a locker room.