Republican Sen. Burr bans NC newspaper from receiving notices of campaign events | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Elections

Republican Sen. Burr bans NC newspaper from receiving notices of campaign events

By Colin Campbell

ccampbell@newsobserver.com

October 31, 2016 02:55 PM

U.S. Sen. Richard Burr’s re-election campaign is refusing to provide The News & Observer with details of his campaign schedule, effectively limiting the newspaper from reporting on Burr’s public appearances.

Burr spokesman Jesse Hunt said concerns with The N&O’s coverage of the race have prompted the campaign to ban the paper from receiving event information.

“Paul (Shumaker, Burr’s lead political strategist) put an embargo on sending you scheduling details until you demonstrate the ability to cover this race from a balanced point of view,” Hunt said in an email.

The Burr campaign had been sending near-daily news releases in early October outlining where Burr would be campaigning, but The N&O stopped receiving those releases in recent weeks.

Burr’s decision to limit media access comes after Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump created — and later lifted — a “blacklist” of media organizations like The Washington Post and POLITICO. For months, Trump’s campaign refused to grant media credentials to journalists working for those publications, although many continued to attend rallies without formal media passes.

The Burr campaign had voiced concerns with The N&O’s story last week about a 2010 campaign fundraiser that conflicted with a Senate committee hearing on a costly military aircraft.

Hunt defended the Burr campaign’s openness to media coverage. “Please make sure you include that Sen. Burr has made over 35 public stops in October and done more than 20 local media interviews,” Hunt said. “And that (the ban) applies to you because Colin Campbell and The News & Observer have failed to cover the Senate race objectively and on its own merits.”

RECENT N&O COVERAGE OF THE SENATE RACE:

[Burr banking on Intelligence chairmanship to boost his re-election prospects]

[NC senator who champions fossil fuels happened to get industry money for 20 years]

[The personal side of NC’s three Senate candidates]

[Deborah Ross’ ACLU leadership looms large in US Senate race]

[5 highlights from Richard Burr’s time in U.S. Senate]

[5 highlights from Deborah Ross’ decade in the NC House]

[Senate candidate opposed ending historic tax credits that had benefited her family]

[For GOP senator’s political funds, it’s all in the family]

[Burr, Ross blast each other for missing votes, meetings]

[GOP senator calls on Democratic rival to reveal whether she escaped taxes some years]

[The surprising ways in which NC Senate candidates agree on national security]

[Richard Burr, Deborah Ross divided on Medicare and Social Security]

Read Next

Congress

Kansas Republican Pat Roberts announces retirement, sets up open seat race for Senate

By Lindsay Wise,

Bryan Lowry, and

Jonathan Shorman

January 04, 2019 11:09 AM

Sen. Pat Roberts won’t seek re-election in 2020, ending a half century career in Kansas politics and setting up an open seat race.

KEEP READING

MORE ELECTIONS

Campaigns

Here is your handy guide to the 2020 presidential campaign

January 01, 2019 05:00 AM

Midterms

Democrat calls for 48 witnesses at state board hearing into election fraud in NC

December 30, 2018 07:09 PM

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Midterms

‘Do u care who u vote for?’ Investigators found indications of ballot harvesting in 2016

December 19, 2018 04:30 PM

Campaigns

Inside Kamala Harris’s relationship with an Indian-American community eager to claim her

December 19, 2018 12:00 AM

Elections

NC election dispute to leave 773,000 without voice in Congress: ‘It is a great loss’

December 18, 2018 05:50 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service