Steyer won’t run in 2018, but leaves door open for 2020 | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Elections

Steyer won’t run in 2018, but leaves door open for 2020

By Emily Cadei

January 08, 2018 12:56 PM

WASHINGTON

Candidates for statewide office in California can breathe a sigh of relief: Liberal activist Tom Steyer is not running for office in 2018. Instead, he’s going to plough millions of dollars into his two national political organizations, NextGen America and Need to Impeach, to try to oust Republicans from office.

In the process, the billionaire investor can continue to build his personal political brand ahead of 2020. He declined to speculate on his political future Monday, but pointedly did not rule out a presidential run. “We are all in through November 6, 2018,” Steyer said. “We really don’t have the ability to know what’s going to happen after that.”

Given Steyer’s wealth and national following, the billionaire investor was considered the X-factor in the race for governor and Senate, though his behavior in recent weeks suggested he was unlikely to jump into either race. Steyer confirmed that in Washington, D.C. Monday morning.

The campaign trail is “not where I can make the biggest difference,” he said at a press conference not far from the U.S. Capitol. The “most important task for me is … organizing and mobilizing America’s voters.” To that end, Steyer said he planned to invest $30 million in NextGen America for grassroots organizing in ten states: Arizona, California, Florida, Iowa, Michigan, Nevada, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, Virginia and Wisconsin.

He also promised to “redouble” his impeachment campaign against President Donald Trump, though he refused to put a dollar figure on how much he would spend this year on that front. “We are really focused on removing this president,” Steyer said. Since launching a series of television ads last October calling for Trump’s impeachment, roughly 4 million people have signed an online petition calling for the president’s ouster.

The billionaire activist is putting at least $10 million into national TV ads demanding that Congress impeaches President Donald Trump.

By Tom Steyer

In a statement released after the press conference, Need to Impeach said its “digital army will be central to an unprecedented engagement effort targeting Democratic and Republican members of Congress who have so far failed to support removing Trump from office.” But Steyer insisted to reporters he did not plan to campaign against Democrats who do not get behind Trump’s impeachment.

“What we are going to try to do is ...enable the voice of the American people to demand action from their representatives as opposed to making it some kind of litmus test,” Steyer said. NextGen America, meanwhile, will be working to mobilize young people and getting them to the polls in November. The group plans to target eight Senate races, nine gubernatorial races, and more than 30 Congressional districts “in an effort to flip Congress back to Democratic control,” the release said.

At his press conference, Steyer specifically called out House Speaker Paul Ryan and House Republican colleagues Barbara Comstock of Virginia and Darrell Issa of California. Issa, who represents parts of Orange and San Diego Counties, is considered one of the most vulnerable incumbents in the country this year.

Emily Cadei: 202-383-6153, @emilycadei

Read Next

Congress

Kansas Republican Pat Roberts announces retirement, sets up open seat race for Senate

By Lindsay Wise,

Bryan Lowry, and

Jonathan Shorman

January 04, 2019 11:09 AM

Sen. Pat Roberts won’t seek re-election in 2020, ending a half century career in Kansas politics and setting up an open seat race.

KEEP READING

MORE ELECTIONS

Campaigns

Here is your handy guide to the 2020 presidential campaign

January 01, 2019 05:00 AM

Midterms

Democrat calls for 48 witnesses at state board hearing into election fraud in NC

December 30, 2018 07:09 PM

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Midterms

‘Do u care who u vote for?’ Investigators found indications of ballot harvesting in 2016

December 19, 2018 04:30 PM

Campaigns

Inside Kamala Harris’s relationship with an Indian-American community eager to claim her

December 19, 2018 12:00 AM

Elections

NC election dispute to leave 773,000 without voice in Congress: ‘It is a great loss’

December 18, 2018 05:50 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service