Charlotte mayor lobbies DNC for $55M in convention funds | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Elections

Charlotte mayor lobbies DNC for $55M in convention funds

Steve Harrison - The Charlotte Observer

July 20, 2011 07:21 AM

Charlotte Mayor Anthony Foxx said he's confident the city will get $55 million in security funds for the Democratic National Convention, but the impasse in Congress over the debt ceiling concerns him.

Foxx and the mayor of Tampa, which is hosting the Republican National Convention, were in Washington, D.C., last week lobbying Congress for the money.

When asked what would happen if Charlotte didn't receive the money, Foxx said: "We don't contemplate not getting it."

The main cost of holding the August 2012 convention - upward of $40 million - will be paid by private donors. But security costs, which include new surveillance equipment and police overtime, is expected to be paid for by the federal government.

Foxx said he expects the city to have between 2,400 and 3,400 additional officers, which will come from other cities.

"What's different is we have the debt ceiling debate," Foxx said.

Foxx said there is no impending deadline for getting the money. Boston, which hosted the 2004 Democratic convention, received the money a year before the event. Denver, which hosted in 2008, received the money in May before the late summer convention.

President Barack Obama is locked in a battle of wills with Congressional Republicans over how much to cut the federal deficit in order to raise the debt ceiling.

In his biweekly press conference, Foxx also addressed Monday's scheduled vote on whether to fully fund the Charlotte Regional Visitors Authority. The CRVA has requested $10 million for the fiscal year 2012, but the City Council has so far only allocated $2.5 million.

Foxx and seven council members have voted to withhold the money, saying they want more information from the CRVA board as to how it will improve management.

The CRVA has released a schedule of when it will make improvements, but Foxx has said he wants more detail.

Foxx on Tuesday said the CRVA's attendance projections on the NASCAR Hall of Fame might have influenced the city's decision to build the racing shrine. The hall's first-year attendance was one-third of what was projected, and May and June 2011 attendance is down more than 30percent from 2010.

"We might have made a different calculus as to how much to invest in that facility," Foxx said.

Foxx has been critical of CRVA Chief Executive Tim Newman. In Tuesday's press conference, Foxx was asked whether he thought the CRVA board should make a change.

"I'll stand by what I have said on that," Foxx said.

To read more from The Charlotte Observer, visit www.charlotteobserver.com.

Read Next

Congress

Kansas Republican Pat Roberts announces retirement, sets up open seat race for Senate

By Lindsay Wise,

Bryan Lowry, and

Jonathan Shorman

January 04, 2019 11:09 AM

Sen. Pat Roberts won’t seek re-election in 2020, ending a half century career in Kansas politics and setting up an open seat race.

KEEP READING

MORE ELECTIONS

Campaigns

Here is your handy guide to the 2020 presidential campaign

January 01, 2019 05:00 AM

Midterms

Democrat calls for 48 witnesses at state board hearing into election fraud in NC

December 30, 2018 07:09 PM

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Midterms

‘Do u care who u vote for?’ Investigators found indications of ballot harvesting in 2016

December 19, 2018 04:30 PM

Campaigns

Inside Kamala Harris’s relationship with an Indian-American community eager to claim her

December 19, 2018 12:00 AM

Elections

NC election dispute to leave 773,000 without voice in Congress: ‘It is a great loss’

December 18, 2018 05:50 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service