Paul finishes third in Illinois, blasts GOP budget proposal | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Elections

Paul finishes third in Illinois, blasts GOP budget proposal

John Gravois - The Fort Worth Star-Telegram

March 21, 2012 07:25 AM

Texas Congressman Ron Paul is holding onto third place tonight in the Illinois primary, dealing a further blow to Newt Gingrich's struggling campaign.

With 61 percent of the vote counted, Mitt Romney leads with 48 percent of the vote, followed by Rick Santorum at 34 percent. Paul is third with 9 percent with Gingrich last among still-active candidates at 8 percent. Paul's edge over Gingrich came even though the congressman from Lake Jackson did not actively campaign in Illinois.

Nineteen of Illinois' 54 delegates have been allocated so far, and Romney, the former governor of Massachusetts, has claimed all of them, padding his already substantial lead in delegates over Santorum.

In another Paul development Tuesday, Bloomberg News reported that Endorse Liberty, the super PAC supporting Paul's campaign, said it raised $282,467 last month, bringing its fund-raising total to $4.1 million since the beginning of the race.

While Paul didn't have his eye much on Illinois this week, he did have it on the proposed federal budget released by his fellow Republicans in Congress today, and he didn't have much good to say about it.

“Today, the House Republican leadership released a budget meant to be an alternative to President Obama's budget plan, which was filled with more debt, more deficits, and more taxing and spending," Paul said in a statement.

"Unfortunately, the House Republican proposal doesn't go far enough to address the extreme fiscal problems we face as a nation. The House GOP’s budget proposal does not balance the budget until the year 2040, and it adds billions to our already exploding deficits. In fact, this budget doesn't actually 'cut' any spending. It only reduces assumed increases in spending - essentially playing the same game the Washington establishment has played for years with our hard-earned money."

To read more, visit www.star-telegram.com.

Read Next

Video media Created with Sketch.

Midterms

Democrat calls for 48 witnesses at state board hearing into election fraud in NC

By Brian Murphy and

Carli Brosseau

December 30, 2018 07:09 PM

Democrat Dan McCready’s campaign listed 48 witnesses for the state board of elections to subpoena for a scheduled Jan. 11 hearing into possible election fraud in North Carolina’s 9th Congressional District.

KEEP READING

MORE ELECTIONS

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Campaigns

Inside Kamala Harris’s relationship with an Indian-American community eager to claim her

December 19, 2018 12:00 AM

Midterms

‘Do u care who u vote for?’ Investigators found indications of ballot harvesting in 2016

December 19, 2018 04:30 PM

Campaigns

Key Kamala Harris aide moves, sending a signal about her 2020 plans

December 18, 2018 02:18 PM

Elections

NC election dispute to leave 773,000 without voice in Congress: ‘It is a great loss’

December 18, 2018 05:50 PM

Midterms

Bladen operative hired by Mark Harris says investigations will prove his innocence

December 18, 2018 05:35 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service