Herman Cain still talks like he’s running for president | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Elections

Herman Cain still talks like he’s running for president

John Frank and Craig Jarvis - Raleigh News & Observer

March 23, 2012 12:42 PM

RALEIGH — Former presidential candidate Herman Cain said he expects the Republican presidential contest to extend well past North Carolina’s May 8 primary and possibly end in a brokered convention.

“The process has been unpredictable from the beginning,” Cain told reporters. “I believe that the rest of this process will also be unpredictable.”

Cain suspended his presidential campaign in December, pledging he “wouldn’t go away” despite allegations of sexual misconduct.

The former Godfather’s Pizza chief executive still sounded like a candidate in his remarks to the Wake County GOP convention, attacking Democratic President Barack Obama and touting limited government.

“Stay informed because stupid people are ruining America,” he said, referring to Democrats.

And despite the prolonged GOP presidential primary saga, Cain sought to focus the few hundred conservatives in the audience on the mission at hand: defeating Obama in November.

“When this process plays out, we will have a nominee, and we will rally around them,” Cain said.

Earlier in the day, Cain attended a fundraising rally in Wake Forest for Bill Randall, a Republican congressional candidate. Randall agreed to champion Cain’s 9-9-9 tax reform plan, joining more than 30 other congressional candidates nationwide who support a 9 percent flat tax on household income, a 9 percent corporate tax and a 9 percent national sales tax.

“We share the same values, and we are on the same mission,” Cain said of Randall. “And the mission to beat Barack Obama is also in addition to the mission of getting America back on track because we’re headed off of a cliff.”

Randall faces Wake County Commissioner Paul Coble and former U.S. Attorney George Holding in the GOP primary for the Raleigh-centric seat.

At the Randall event, Cain found folks who wanted him to make a last-minute bid for the Republican nomination at a brokered convention. He noted that none of the current candidates has enough delegates to win the first ballot in August in Tampa, Fla.

“Every American can be nominated” on the second ballot, he said. “It starts all over. You could have someone you’ve never heard of be the nominee. Or you could have somebody who may have dropped out of the race who would be the nominee.”

The remark brought hearty applause from the crowd of 300 people. “I’m just explaining the process,” Cain said with a mischievous smile. Cain later told reporters his chances are unlikely and he is not organizing a convention campaign.

“I never say never, but at this point I am not making any plans to be on the ballot,” he said.

Read more at newsobserver.com

Read Next

Video media Created with Sketch.

Midterms

Democrat calls for 48 witnesses at state board hearing into election fraud in NC

By Brian Murphy and

Carli Brosseau

December 30, 2018 07:09 PM

Democrat Dan McCready’s campaign listed 48 witnesses for the state board of elections to subpoena for a scheduled Jan. 11 hearing into possible election fraud in North Carolina’s 9th Congressional District.

KEEP READING

MORE ELECTIONS

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Campaigns

Inside Kamala Harris’s relationship with an Indian-American community eager to claim her

December 19, 2018 12:00 AM

Midterms

‘Do u care who u vote for?’ Investigators found indications of ballot harvesting in 2016

December 19, 2018 04:30 PM

Campaigns

Key Kamala Harris aide moves, sending a signal about her 2020 plans

December 18, 2018 02:18 PM

Elections

NC election dispute to leave 773,000 without voice in Congress: ‘It is a great loss’

December 18, 2018 05:50 PM

Midterms

Bladen operative hired by Mark Harris says investigations will prove his innocence

December 18, 2018 05:35 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service