California Sen. Feinstein 'not terribly worried' about campaign fund loss | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Elections

California Sen. Feinstein 'not terribly worried' about campaign fund loss

Torey Van Oot - The Sacramento Bee

April 11, 2012 06:54 AM

Sen. Dianne Feinstein said Tuesday that she's not distressed by losing millions in campaign cash at the hands of treasurer Kinde Durkee, an act she termed "a big betrayal."

Feinstein, in Sacramento to speak to community leaders and tour area levees, downplayed the effect the setback could have on her re-election campaign this year, given her personal wealth and field of challengers.

"I think I'm in fair shape," the 78-year-old Democrat said. "I don't have a major opponent and I'm not terribly worried about it."

Durkee, the prominent Burbank-based campaign treasurer used by Feinstein and many other California Democrats, pleaded guilty last month to defrauding clients of at least $7 million. Federal prosecutors say the decadelong scheme led to the largest campaign treasurer embezzlement case on the books.

While Feinstein's multimillion-dollar war chest was one of the hardest hit, the wealthy lawmaker was able to refuel her account with $5 million in personal money.

Feinstein said while she had no personal relationship with Durkee, the news was particularly difficult because she had used the treasurer's firm for campaigns in the past.

Feinstein also voiced support for Gov. Jerry Brown's revised high-speed rail plan, saying Brown has "done the right thing" by focusing on a building a high-speed rail line down the center of the state that would then connect to high-population centers such as Los Angeles and San Francisco.

But she seemed less confident about federal dollars for the $68 billion project. Brown's plan, which cut the cost by $30 billion from an earlier estimate, relies heavily on federal funding. "Do I think it's doable? Yes. Do I think it's doable with all the bells and whistles? No," Feinstein said. "That's a decision that has to be made."

In a luncheon speech sponsored by the Sacramento Area Council of Governments and the Next Economy Partnership, Feinstein bemoaned the levels of "hyperpartisanship" in Congress.

"I very much hope that the American people will once again take some stock in the greatness of this democracy. That it should not be hamstrung, that it should be allowed to function, that elections do matter and that electing people with knowledge and institutional and historic background does make a difference," she said.

The type of experience touted by Feinstein served as a line of attack for one of the 23 candidates challenging Feinstein on the June 5 ballot.

Danville Republican Elizabeth Emken, who has been endorsed by the California GOP, called for "new energy and a fresh viewpoint" during a Sacramento news conference.

Emken, who has worked as a lobbyist for a nonprofit that advocates for children with autism, criticized Feinstein as a Washington insider who has not done enough to reduce the federal deficit.

"She votes as if she has no idea what most of us are living through right now," Emken said.

To read more, visit www.sacbee.com.

Read Next

Video media Created with Sketch.

Midterms

Democrat calls for 48 witnesses at state board hearing into election fraud in NC

By Brian Murphy and

Carli Brosseau

December 30, 2018 07:09 PM

Democrat Dan McCready’s campaign listed 48 witnesses for the state board of elections to subpoena for a scheduled Jan. 11 hearing into possible election fraud in North Carolina’s 9th Congressional District.

KEEP READING

MORE ELECTIONS

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Campaigns

Inside Kamala Harris’s relationship with an Indian-American community eager to claim her

December 19, 2018 12:00 AM

Midterms

‘Do u care who u vote for?’ Investigators found indications of ballot harvesting in 2016

December 19, 2018 04:30 PM

Campaigns

Key Kamala Harris aide moves, sending a signal about her 2020 plans

December 18, 2018 02:18 PM

Elections

NC election dispute to leave 773,000 without voice in Congress: ‘It is a great loss’

December 18, 2018 05:50 PM

Midterms

Bladen operative hired by Mark Harris says investigations will prove his innocence

December 18, 2018 05:35 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service