GOP to White House: Stop Clinton from ignoring conflicts with foreign money, foundation | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Elections

GOP to White House: Stop Clinton from ignoring conflicts with foreign money, foundation

By Anita Kumar - McClatchy Washington Bureau

March 25, 2015 05:43 PM

The leader of the Republican Party on Wednesday demanded that the White House address violations to a “flawed agreement” that was supposed to prevent conflicts of interest involving foreign donations to the Clinton Foundation while Hillary Clinton was serving as secretary of state.

In a letter obtained by McClatchy, Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus said the document that was designed to allay concerns that donors to the Clinton Foundation could influence U.S. foreign policy “failed to alleviate conflicts of interest, and at times was blatantly ignored.”

The letter was sent to White House senior adviser Valerie Jarrett, one of President Barack Obama’s closest aides who served as co-chair of the Obama transition team and signed the agreement with the Clinton Foundation in December 2008.

The White House suggested it was unlikely to respond to the letter. Press Secretary Josh Earnest said the RNC “may have their conflict of interest in writing the letter. They may have their own sort of interest that maybe something other than the truth and transparency and all that.”

Hillary Clinton, 67, is the presumed front-runner for the Democratic presidential nomination in 2016, though she continues to be dogged by ethical questions about her family foundation’s acceptance of foreign donations as well as her use of a private email account to conduct government business while she was secretary. She is expected to announce her second run for the White House next month, according to those knowledgeable about her plans but not authorized to speak publicly.

The Clinton Foundation – now called the Bill, Hillary & Chelsea Clinton Foundation – has received millions of dollars in donations from foreign governments, businesses, individuals and non-governmental organizations around the globe, including some while Hillary Clinton was serving as secretary of state, according to an analysis of 10 years of contributions by McClatchy.

After Obama tapped Clinton to be the nation’s top diplomat, the foundation agreed not to accept donations from foreign governments that had not previously contributed to the organization without a review by the State Department and consented to disclose a list of its donors each year.

Recent news reports indicate the agreement did not always work. The foundation did not seek approval from the State Department before accepting $500,000 from the Algerian government, according to The Washington Post. A related entity, the Clinton Health Access Initiative, failed to disclose its donors annually between 2010-2013, according to Reuters.

In his letter, Priebus asked Jarrett to provide him written responses to a variety of questions about how the White House enforced the agreement, when it realized it was not working and who was in charge of the issue within the administration. He also poses the question that many critics have asked in recent weeks: Were foreign governments that contributed to the Clinton Foundation given special treatment or consideration by the White House?

The agreement “was billed to the public and Congress as a pledge toward transparency and the avoidance of conflicts of interest,” Priebus wrote. “The American people deserve to know whether it was nothing more than a memorandum between parties that had no real interest in either of these goals.”

Foreign nationals have been prohibited from donating money to U.S. campaigns since 1966, though foreign contributions to charities such as the Clinton Foundation are allowed.

More than 40 percent of the foundation’s top donors are based in foreign countries, according to McClatchy’s analysis. In total, at least 70 of the 168 donors contributing more than $1 million each are foreign individuals or entities. Of the seven top donors giving more than $25 million each, four were foreign.

At a recent news conference to primarily address the issue of her email, Clinton defended the foreign donations. “I am very proud of the work the foundation does,” she said. “I’m very proud of the hundreds of thousands of people who support the work of the foundation and the results that have been achieved for people here at home and around the world.”

Foundation spokesman Craig Minassian has said the foundation has received the support of individuals, organizations and governments from all over the world because of its good works. “The bottom line: These contributions are helping improve the lives of millions of people across the world, for which we are grateful,” he said.

Former President Bill Clinton founded the charity, then called the William J. Clinton Foundation, in 2001 to address issues around the world, including health care, climate change and economic development. After leaving the State Department in 2013, Clinton joined the foundation, which changed its name to the Bill, Hillary & Chelsea Clinton Foundation after the couple and their daughter.

The foundation is not required to publicly release its donors. A foundation spokesman said that the organization continued to release donor information after Clinton left the State Department to be transparent.

The foundation website indicated that 65,499 individuals or entities donated since 2004, though it does not include exact donation amounts; does not give dates beyond indicating who gave in 2014; and does not identify information about the donors such as addresses or employers.

The list includes many of the Clintons’ longtime friends and political supporters and prominent Democratic donors as well as the foreign individuals and entities.

At least one organization, America Rising, a conservative opposition research group, has called on the Clinton Foundation to return all its donations from foreign governments and pledge not to accept them in the future.

Lesley Clark of the Washington Bureau contributed.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

politics-government

Clinton talks about a new relationship with the media

March 23, 2015 09:03 PM

politics-government

Obama, Clinton meet behind closed doors

March 23, 2015 08:26 PM

election

Clinton talks issues, not politics, before small, friendly crowd

March 23, 2015 06:07 PM

national

Paul calls on Clinton to return foreign money, says Saudi Arabia has a “war on women”

March 20, 2015 05:24 PM

election

Clinton should turn over email server to 3rd party, Benghazi panel chairman says

March 20, 2015 03:29 PM

Read Next

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

By Kate Irby

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

California Republican Party Chair Jim Brulte is sounding a warning on the GOP needing to appeal more to Asian and Latino Americans. California House Republicans don’t know how to do that.

KEEP READING

MORE ELECTIONS

Campaigns

Inside Kamala Harris’s relationship with an Indian-American community eager to claim her

December 19, 2018 12:00 AM

Midterms

‘Do u care who u vote for?’ Investigators found indications of ballot harvesting in 2016

December 19, 2018 04:30 PM

Campaigns

Key Kamala Harris aide moves, sending a signal about her 2020 plans

December 18, 2018 02:18 PM

Elections

NC election dispute to leave 773,000 without voice in Congress: ‘It is a great loss’

December 18, 2018 05:50 PM

Midterms

Bladen operative hired by Mark Harris says investigations will prove his innocence

December 18, 2018 05:35 PM

Elections

From politics to the pulpit and back again: Mark Harris’ rise on the religious right

December 12, 2018 01:35 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service