Huckabee push-back: Cruz not invited | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Elections

Huckabee push-back: Cruz not invited

By Maria Recio

mrecio@mcclatchydc.com

September 09, 2015 06:36 PM

WASHINGTON

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee wasn’t going to let Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, take any of the glory.

So when the sharp-elbowed Texan, a fellow GOP presidential rival, showed up in Grayson, Ky. to meet and presumably comfort then-jailed county clerk Kim Davis, Huckabee pushed back - hard.

Davis, who has become a cause celebre among Christian conservatives for refusing to issue marriage licenses to gay couples because of her religious beliefs, was unexpectedly released - just in time for a Huckabee-organized rally in her support.

And there was Cruz, ready to take some of the spotlight. Only Huckabee, who is known for his genial demeanor, wasn’t having it. He showed he can play hardball and had his staff block Cruz from the stage and the microphone, although the Texan was able to meet privately with Davis.

“Well, this was our event,” Huckabee said today on NewsMaxTV’s Steve Malzberg Show. “My team put it together. We’re the ones who recruited the people not only to be on the program, but we’re the ones who coordinated the effort. We’re the ones who secured the permits, the staging. We had no idea Ted Cruz was going to show up until the day before and he didn’t call us, he called several other people on the program and asked about it.”

Sharp-eyed observers saw the back of Cruz’s head on MSNBC but it was the Arkansas governor who was the center of the media coverage.

“He can come, but he’s not free to come to an event that we’re putting together and invite himself on the program anymore than I could go a few weeks ago to his event in Des Moines and just show up and expect to be a speaker,” said Huckabee. He said he thought he had been “gracious” by facilitating Cruz’s meeting with Davis.

As for Cruz, asked about the episode this morning by McClatchy, he gave a small smile and said, “It was their rally. It was organized by Gov. Huckabee. I respected their right to decide who was speaking.”

Maria Recio: 202-383-6103, @maria_e_recio

Read Next

Congress

Kansas Republican Pat Roberts announces retirement, sets up open seat race for Senate

By Lindsay Wise,

Bryan Lowry, and

Jonathan Shorman

January 04, 2019 11:09 AM

Sen. Pat Roberts won’t seek re-election in 2020, ending a half century career in Kansas politics and setting up an open seat race.

KEEP READING

MORE ELECTIONS

Campaigns

Here is your handy guide to the 2020 presidential campaign

January 01, 2019 05:00 AM

Midterms

Democrat calls for 48 witnesses at state board hearing into election fraud in NC

December 30, 2018 07:09 PM

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Midterms

‘Do u care who u vote for?’ Investigators found indications of ballot harvesting in 2016

December 19, 2018 04:30 PM

Campaigns

Inside Kamala Harris’s relationship with an Indian-American community eager to claim her

December 19, 2018 12:00 AM

Elections

NC election dispute to leave 773,000 without voice in Congress: ‘It is a great loss’

December 18, 2018 05:50 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service