WASHINGTON
Say negative things about me that aren’t true, Donald Trump is warning John Kasich, and I’ll sue.
“Watch Kasich squirm – if he is not truthful in his negative ads I will sue him just for fun!” Trump tweeted Thursday night, after Kasich backers unleashed ads questioning Trump’s foreign policy expertise.
November 20, 2015 ">
Alan Garten, general counsel for the Trump Organization, wrote New Day for America, the SuperPAC running the ads, and Kasich, should the ads contain “any false, misleading, defamatory or otherwise tortious statements representations concerning Mr. Trump’s business or his brand, we will not hesitate to take immediate legal action to prevent such distribution and hold you and your organizations jointly and severally liable to the fullest extent of the law for any damages resulting therefrom.”
New Day for America had a quick comeback.
“Mr. Trump’s been successful in suing his way to financial gain. Unfortunately, you can’t sue your way to the Oval Office,” said New Day for America spokesman Matt David.
“Trump can hire every trial lawyer in the country, but voters will ultimately decide this election. You can’t sue ISIS away. Suing Vladimir Putin won’t evict Russia from the Ukraine. The role of commander in chief requires leadership, not lawyers.”
The threat came as the two Republican candidates engaged in a Twitter war Thursday.
New Day for America released an ad saying Trump and retired neurosurgeon Ben Carson, who are at the top of most Republican presidential polls, aren’t fit to conduct foreign policy. It was the most aggressive ad effort so far challenging the real estate mogul.
“On-the-job training for president does not work,” says the announcer. “Benghazi, beheadings, Paris. Our lives depend on a commander in chief with experience, who understands the world.”
Kasich, the governor of Ohio, is then shown speaking at a Florida conference, somber and statesmanlike. “Time is of the essence. Negotiation, ambivalence or delay, are not acceptable,” he said.
The announcer then returns. “The first with a plan to destroy ISIS? John Kasich.” Kasich, a congressman from 1983 to 2001, was a member of the House Armed Services Committee.
The ad, part of a $6.5 million buy in New Hampshire that is scheduled to run through the February 9 primary, is a rare attempt to bring down Trump. Most Republican rivals have avoided such a broad strategy, worried about alienating his supporters, and for that matter, angering him.
Such as Kasich did.
Trump unleashed a barrage of tweets Thursday night. First came Kasich’s “failed campaign and debating skills.” Then his “failed image.” And he was “pathetic.”
November 20, 2015