Add Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s name to the list of politicians denouncing Republican presidential front-runner Donald Trump’s call to bar all Muslims from entering the U.S.
In a series of tweets Wednesday, the prime minister’s office said he “rejects” Trump’s remarks on Muslims, but will still meet with Trump when he visits Israel in two weeks. The office added that Israel “respects all religions and strictly guarantees the rights of all its citizens.”
“At the same time,” it added, “Israel is fighting against militant Islam that targets Muslims, Christians and Jews alike and threatens the entire world.”
Trump last week said he planned an end of the year trip to Israel to meet with Netanyahu. The prime minister said he adopted a policy earlier this year to meet with any presidential candidate from either party who visited Israel and wanted a meeting.