Lindsey Graham: Not getting on main GOP debate stage hurt 2016 chances | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Elections

Lindsey Graham: Not getting on main GOP debate stage hurt 2016 chances

By Andrew Shain

ashain@thestate.com

January 08, 2016 07:45 PM

U.S. Sen. Lindsey Graham said Friday that he quit the race for the 2016 Republican presidential nomination last month because he saw no clear path to the upper tier of candidates, some of whom – Donald Trump and Ted Cruz – he sees as toxic to the GOP.

The Seneca Republican regularly was named the winner of the GOP race’s “undercard” debates, which featured lower-polling candidates. But not getting on the main debate stage killed his chances to win greater support, Graham said.

Graham thought that if he could make the top three in the New Hampshire primary polls, he could have won the next GOP contest, in his home state of South Carolina.

But Graham said he had a difficult time competing against a front-runner, New York billionaire Trump, who was getting so much free media attention. Graham also blamed the primary cycle’s emphasis on national polls, which he said hurt his chances since he came from a smaller state.

“The people giving me money were in the camp of, ‘I don’t know if you’re going to win, but I’d like you to win,’ ” he said. “I don’t think anybody signed up believing that I would be the front-runner. ... There was a potential for me. If I could have ever caught on, my donor based would have grown exponentially.”

Graham did not provide a timetable on endorsing another GOP presidential candidate.

“No. 1, will my endorsement matter?” he said. “I’ve got to see what, if any, damage I have done to myself here at home.”

Graham knows he will not endorse the top two national front-runners, Trump or Cruz of Texas. He said they’re promoting harsh, uncompromising views that divide the party, driving away potential supporters.

“Everything we learned for the 2012 election, he has ignored,” Graham said of Trump. “What Mr. Trump is doing is making it hard for us to reconnect with constituencies we’re having problems connecting with – young women and Hispanic voters.”

Graham said Cruz is an ideologue, willing to shut down the government over the Affordable Care Act, who has shifted his position on immigration.

Even with all her baggage, Graham predicted Democratic front-runner Hillary Clinton will “eat their lunch” if Trump or Cruz is the GOP nominee.

Graham said he likes former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, a former front-runner who has collected the bulk of Graham supporters in South Carolina.

The senator said U.S. Sen. Marco Rubio, the Florida Republican running third in polls nationally, needs to show voters he can lead the country as a 44-year-old, first-term senator. But, Graham added, Rubio is the best-spoken candidate in the GOP field.

Graham said voters should be careful in selecting a commander-in-chief: “You’re picking the leader of our military with your vote. Use it wisely because you’re stuck with the choice.”

The senator said he thinks his candidacy succeeded in pushing candidates to consider sending more U.S. troops to help battle ISIS, a touchy issue earlier last year.

The 60-year-old Graham also said he liked running for president enough to consider another shot in four years. “I think I’d be a good president.”

For now, he plans on returning to the Senate to help broker deals on immigration reform and economic reform. “I’m in the problem-solving business,” he said.

Read Next

Video media Created with Sketch.

Midterms

Democrat calls for 48 witnesses at state board hearing into election fraud in NC

By Brian Murphy and

Carli Brosseau

December 30, 2018 07:09 PM

Democrat Dan McCready’s campaign listed 48 witnesses for the state board of elections to subpoena for a scheduled Jan. 11 hearing into possible election fraud in North Carolina’s 9th Congressional District.

KEEP READING

MORE ELECTIONS

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Campaigns

Inside Kamala Harris’s relationship with an Indian-American community eager to claim her

December 19, 2018 12:00 AM

Midterms

‘Do u care who u vote for?’ Investigators found indications of ballot harvesting in 2016

December 19, 2018 04:30 PM

Campaigns

Key Kamala Harris aide moves, sending a signal about her 2020 plans

December 18, 2018 02:18 PM

Elections

NC election dispute to leave 773,000 without voice in Congress: ‘It is a great loss’

December 18, 2018 05:50 PM

Midterms

Bladen operative hired by Mark Harris says investigations will prove his innocence

December 18, 2018 05:35 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service