Donald Trump – who is boycotting Thursday night’s Fox News debate in a spat with the network – will have company: fellow Republican rivals Mike Huckabee and Rick Santorum say they plan to attend Trump’s event after they participate in the earlier debate.
“I’m delighted to join with Donald Trump in an effort to salute veterans and, you know what, I didn’t have anything going on at 8:00 tonight,” Huckabee joked to CNN’s Wolf Blitzer. Huckabee, who didn’t make the cut for the prime-time debate, said his appearance wouldn’t be an endorsement of Trump’s candidacy. “I’m still running for president,” he said.
But he said he wanted to show veterans support . He said he didn’t talk with Trump, but there had been “conversations over the past day or so and we said we’d love to come and be part of an event that honors our veterans. They’re some of the most under-appreciated, under-supported people in the country.”