Trump administration to fingerprint parents who claim custody of unaccompanied migrant kids | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

White House

Trump administration to fingerprint parents who claim custody of unaccompanied migrant kids

By Franco Ordoñez

June 08, 2018 06:04 PM

WASHINGTON

The Trump administration will now fingerprint and run immigration checks on the mothers and fathers who come forward to claim custody of unaccompanied migrant children stopped at the border under a new policy that is stoking new fears in immigrant communities nationwide.

The initiative implemented this week is the latest get-tough effort by the Trump administration that promised stronger vetting procedures of sponsors after drawing criticism last week for reportedly losing track of more than 1,475 children they had placed with sponsors.

In a conference call Thursday, the Office of Refugee Resettlement outlined a ORR memorandum of agreement with the Department of Homeland Security on the new procedures field specialists should follow in finding homes for unaccompanied children.

“ORR is going to begin submitting fingerprints to DHS,” an ORR policy official said on the call, according to a recording, obtained by McClatchy. “And DHS is going to do a biographic criminal check of the national database also for wants and warrants. And they’re also going to do an immigration status check. This is a big change for us to be sending the information and fingerprints to DHS.”

Under the new policy, the government would no longer provide exceptions to the parents or any other relatives. A Department of Homeland Security official told McClatchy that better coordination between agencies helps protect migrant children and reduces the risk they’ll wind up in the hands of traffickers or gang members.

But some migrant advocates worry it could deter families from claiming children, and migrant parents already appear less willing to do so. The percentage of unaccompanied youths claimed by parents has dropped from 60 percent four years ago to 41 percent in 2017 after increasing crackdowns, including raids.

“There is no humanity or decency in carrying out immigration enforcement on the backs of innocent children,” said Prerna P. Lal, a California immigration attorney.

Steven Wagner, acting assistant secretary of the Administration for Children and Families, said the well-being of the child is their first priority. He said people have fraudulently claimed to be parents when there were not.

"If somebody is unwilling to claim their child from custody because they're concerned about their own immigration status, I think that de facto calls into question whether they're an adequate sponsor and whether we should be releasing a child to that person," Wagner told reporters in a telephone briefing Tuesday regarding concerns over the 1,400 children.

Tens of thousands of unaccompanied children and families have been apprehended since 2014, when a surge of Salvadoran, Honduran and Guatemalan mothers and children raced into the Rio Grande valley in Texas, fleeing violence and poverty.

It is common for parents who are in the United States illegally to pay human smugglers to arrange for their children to be brought to the United States and dropped off at the border.

Unaccompanied children are turned over to the custody of the Office of Refugee Resettlement, which will either care for them in a shelter or release them to a family member. The children who are meeting relatives typically know they must turn over contact information to Border Patrol officials so the information can be verified.

Last year, Health and Human Services assumed custody of more than 40,000 immigrant children and released more than 93 percent to sponsors. Of those, 49 percent were parents and 41 percent were close relatives.

This would not be the first time the Trump administration targeted parents of unaccompanied children. Last year, administration began a new surge of enforcement targeting parents who paid to have their children illegally brought to the United States. U.S. Customs and Border Protection agents now can share information with immigration agents about U.S.-based relatives of unaccompanied children. The information is being used to track down the parents for arrest.

Franco Ordoñez: 202-383-6155, @francoordonez

President Trump outlined his immigration plan during his first State of the Union. Congress is set to take up immigration and DACA legislation before the next government shutdown deadline on Feb. 8.

By McClatchy



Related stories from McClatchy DC

congress

Trump wants Congress to fix child immigrant 'loopholes,' but GOP not showing interest

May 30, 2018 04:02 PM

california-forum

Thousands of unaccompanied kids are still being caught at the border. They need help

April 23, 2018 01:15 PM

Read Next

Investigations

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

By Peter Stone and

Greg Gordon

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

One of Michael Cohen’s mobile phones briefly lit up cell towers in late summer of 2016 in the vicinity of Prague, undercutting his denials that he secretly met there with Russian officials, four people have told McClatchy.

KEEP READING

MORE WHITE HOUSE

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM

National Security

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

December 21, 2018 04:51 PM

Immigration

Leading Republicans question Trump plan to deport Vietnamese refugees, some in US over 20 years

December 21, 2018 01:43 PM

Congress

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

White House

Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

December 20, 2018 05:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service