White House press secretary steps down | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

White House

White House press secretary steps down

William Douglas - McClatchy Newspapers

August 31, 2007 01:38 PM

WASHINGTON — The exodus of high-profile White House officials continued Friday with the resignation of perhaps the most visible one: Press Secretary Tony Snow.

Snow, who's battling a recurrence of cancer, said he'd step down on Sept. 14. White House officials said Deputy Press Secretary Dana Perino will take his place.

Snow said his primary reason for leaving for was financial. The father of three children, Snow said he needs to make more money than his $168,000 White House salary.

"I sadly accept his desire to leave the White House," President Bush told reporters. "It's been a joy to watch him spar with you. He's smart, he's capable, he's witty. He's able to talk about issues in a way that the American people can understand."

The president said he didn't know what Snow would do after leaving the White House but he predicted that he'd "battle cancer and win" and be a "stellar contributor to society."

His hair grayer and thinner from chemotherapy treatments, Snow thanked Bush for the chance to serve in the White House and saluted the reporters with whom he sometimes clashed.

"This job has really been a dream for me and a blast," he told Bush. "I've had an enormous amount of fun and satisfaction, and I'm proud to be working for you and will continue, after I leave working for the White House, to speak out about issues I care about."

Snow, 52, was a talk show host on Fox News Radio before he became Bush's press secretary in April 2006. He was hired to add star power to the White House press briefing room podium after Scott McClellan's tenure as press secretary.

Snow took the job after proclaiming that he'd beaten cancer. His colon was removed two years ago after it was found to be cancerous. Perino tearfully announced in March that Snow's cancer had returned and spread to his liver. Surgeons removed a cancerous growth from his lower abdomen.

With his telegenic looks and quick wit, Snow was a hit with daily press briefing viewers who enjoyed his sometimes humorous sparring with reporters. He also was a hit in Republican Party circles, becoming the first known White House press secretary to headline a political party fundraiser.

Snow is the latest White House official to quit as the Bush presidency winds down.

Friday is White House Deputy Chief of Staff Karl Rove's last day. Attorney General Alberto Gonzales announced his resignation earlier this week. Former White House Counselor Dan Bartlett, White House Attorney Harriet Miers, Budget Director Rob Portman, Political Director Sara Taylor, Deputy National Security Adviser J.D. Crouch and Meghan O'Sullivan, a national security adviser who worked on Iraq, also have stepped down.

Read Next

Investigations

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

By Peter Stone and

Greg Gordon

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

One of Michael Cohen’s mobile phones briefly lit up cell towers in late summer of 2016 in the vicinity of Prague, undercutting his denials that he secretly met there with Russian officials, four people have told McClatchy.

KEEP READING

MORE WHITE HOUSE

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM

National Security

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

December 21, 2018 04:51 PM

Immigration

Leading Republicans question Trump plan to deport Vietnamese refugees, some in US over 20 years

December 21, 2018 01:43 PM

Congress

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

White House

Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

December 20, 2018 05:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service