Bush on destroyed CIA tapes: 'Let's wait and see' | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

White House

Bush on destroyed CIA tapes: 'Let's wait and see'

William Douglas - McClatchy Newspapers

December 20, 2007 01:12 PM

WASHINGTON — President Bush said Thursday that he won't give an opinion on the administration's destruction of CIA interrogation tapes until numerous investigations into the matter are finished.

"Let's wait and see what the facts are," Bush said during a year-end news conference at the White House. "Until these inquiries are complete, I will be rendering no opinion from the podium."

The tapes, showing harsh treatment of two terrorism suspects, were destroyed in 2005. The Justice Department is investigating the incident, as are the CIA and several congressional committees. Bush reasserted that he didn't know about the existence of the tapes or their destruction until CIA Director Michael Hayden briefed him earlier this month.

Bush covered a wide range of topics during his nearly hour-long news conference. He chided the Democratic-controlled Congress for passing a $555 billion spending bill Wednesday that he said contains 9,800 "earmarks," or pet projects that lawmakers seek for their districts or states.

He said that he instructed budget director Jim Nussle, a former member of the House of Representatives, to "review options for dealing with the wasteful spending in the omnibus bill."

Bush was less forceful when he was asked about the status of democracy in Russia and outgoing Russian President Vladimir Putin's apparent maneuvering to become the country's prime minister if, as expected, his protege, Dmitry Medvedev, is elected president.

"My hope, of course, is that Russia is a country which understands there needs to be checks and balances and free and fair elections and vibrant press, that they understand Western values based upon human rights and human dignity ...values that will lead to a better country," Bush said.

On the Iraq war, Bush said his military troop "surge" plan has succeeded in reducing violence. He challenged assertions that the central Iraqi government hasn't used the time to better organize itself.

"Are we satisfied with progress in Baghdad? No, but to say nothing is happening there is not the case," he said.

Bush steadfastly refused to engage in handicapping the 2008 presidential campaign, but he predicted that Republicans would retain the White House and add seats in the House and the Senate.

However, he couldn't resist getting in a good-natured dig at former President Bill Clinton's comment that one of the first things Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-N.Y., would do if elected president is send her husband and former President George H.W. Bush around the world to help restore America's flagging image abroad.

"Well, 41 (the elder Bush) didn't think it's necessary," Bush said. "Sounds like it's going to be a one-man trip."

Read Next

Investigations

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

By Peter Stone and

Greg Gordon

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

One of Michael Cohen’s mobile phones briefly lit up cell towers in late summer of 2016 in the vicinity of Prague, undercutting his denials that he secretly met there with Russian officials, four people have told McClatchy.

KEEP READING

MORE WHITE HOUSE

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM

National Security

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

December 21, 2018 04:51 PM

Immigration

Leading Republicans question Trump plan to deport Vietnamese refugees, some in US over 20 years

December 21, 2018 01:43 PM

Congress

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

White House

Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

December 20, 2018 05:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service