Obama, Bolden discuss future of NASA | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

White House

Obama, Bolden discuss future of NASA

James Rosen - McClatchy Newspapers

May 19, 2009 07:21 PM

WASHINGTON -- President Barack Obama met Tuesday with former astronaut Charles Bolden to discuss his increasingly likely nomination as NASA chief and explore the former Marine Corp. general's vision for the beleaguered space agency.

Bolden, who would be the first African-American to lead NASA, met in the morning with Obama in the White House Roosevelt Room across from the Oval Office.

Shortly after Obama and Bolden huddled, White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs gave the clearest indication to date that the president has all but settled on his choice of NASA head.

Obama, Gibbs said, "hopes that he's the right person to lead NASA in the coming years."

Bolden, 62, was not available for reaction to his meeting with Obama. He told the Orlando Sentinel last week that he was "under an embargo."

Bolden would be the second astronaut to head the National Aeronautics and Space Administration, following Dick Truly, who ran it from 1989 to 1992 under Presidents George H.W. Bush and Bill Clinton.

Truly, though, had flown on only two NASA missions totaling eight hours; Bolden has logged extensive space time with significant responsibilities.

Bolden was commander of two lengthy space shuttle missions, with 680 hours in total flight time.

Bolden later held several NASA administration posts, including assistant deputy administrator, before leaving the agency in 1994.

A native of Columbia, S.C., Bolden received a 1968 bachelor's degree in electrical science from the U.S. Naval Academy and a 1977 master's in systems management from the University of Southern California.

Bolden earned numerous military medals while flying more than 100 sorties in 1972 and 1973 during the Vietnam War.

Once a worldwide symbol of American drive and ingenuity, NASA has lost much of its glory since the 1960s, when it challenged the Soviet Union for space supremacy and landed the first man on the moon, astronaut Neil Armstrong.

Obama said in March that NASA had "a sense of drift" with the planned retirement of the space shuttle next year and an uncertain future for human space exploration.

Obama two weeks ago ordered a three-month study of the U.S. space program, saying he would appoint 10 people to a blue-ribbon panel.

One of Obama's aims in meeting with Bolden was to gauge his comfort with accepting the panel's future recommendations, which could limit the retired general's ability to put his own imprint on NASA.

Gannet Tseggai, an Obama spokeswoman, said the two men discussed Bolden's vision for NASA's future and explored ways to strengthen the space agency.

Obama reiterated his belief that NASA must continue to succeed, Tseggai said.

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

">Europe is about to take an astronomical lead over U.S./a>

">Commentary: NASA must start playing by budget rules/a>

">Will Obama pick Bolden to lead NASA?/a>

Read Next

Investigations

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

By Peter Stone and

Greg Gordon

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

One of Michael Cohen’s mobile phones briefly lit up cell towers in late summer of 2016 in the vicinity of Prague, undercutting his denials that he secretly met there with Russian officials, four people have told McClatchy.

KEEP READING

MORE WHITE HOUSE

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM

National Security

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

December 21, 2018 04:51 PM

Immigration

Leading Republicans question Trump plan to deport Vietnamese refugees, some in US over 20 years

December 21, 2018 01:43 PM

Congress

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

White House

Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

December 20, 2018 05:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service