Obama to sign Lejeune bill at Oval Office signing ceremony on Monday | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

White House

Obama to sign Lejeune bill at Oval Office signing ceremony on Monday

By Franco Ordonez - McClatchy Newspapers

August 03, 2012 10:12 PM

President Obama will sign a bill on Monday to give health care to thousands of sick Marine veterans and their families who were exposed to contaminated water at Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune, N.C., according to a White House official.

Obama will host a signing ceremony at the Oval Office. The time of the ceremony and guest lists have not been released. But several guests from the battleground state are expected to attend.

Mike Partain, who survived breast cancer after living on the base, helped lead the fight for health care along with retired Marine Jerry Ensminger. They said they were invited and plan to attend. Part of the bill is named after Ensminger’s daughter, Janey, who died of a rare form of leukemia in 1985 at age 9.

"It’s been a long time coming" Ensminger said. "But like I said before, this is not the end. I got a lot of kick left. I want the truth. There is still a lot we're not being told."

For years, the bill failed to gain needed momentum. But last month the Senate and House passed the measure after their respective Veterans Affairs Committees agreed on a bill, introduced by Winston-Salem Republican Sen. Richard Burr, that would provide health care for people who lived or worked at the Marine Corps base from Jan. 1, 1957, through Dec. 31, 1987. They also must have a condition listed within the bill that's associated with exposure to these chemicals.

Burr, who along with Sen. Kay Hagan, a Greensboro Democrat and Rep. Brad Miller, a Raleigh Democrat, long sought to convince members of Congress to provide health care for the sick Marines and their families.

It is expected to help as many as 750,000 veterans and their families who were exposed to drinking water that was poisoned with trichloroethylene, tetrachloroethylene, benzene and vinyl chloride.

Miller was the original sponsor of the Janey Ensminger Act, which was included in a modified version of Burr’s bill that passed in the House. He called it a shame that the Marines have been reluctant to accept responsibility for the water contamination.

The Marines said they have worked diligently to identify any individuals who may have been exposed to the chemicals in drinking water, but officials maintain the evidence remains inconclusive. Capt Kendra Motz said several government reviews have also concluded that the Marines have never sought to cover up information or withhold data.

“Unfortunately, to date, the science has proven inconclusive,” she said in an email. “In recognition of this fact, Congress has provided the benefits under the bill, "notwithstanding that there is insufficient medical evidence to conclude that such illnesses or conditions are attributable to such service.”

Burr disagrees. And he said the Navy has yet to answer why it withheld documents showing the contamination.

The next step is continuing to study whether non-military personnel, such as contractors, on the base at the time may have been infected by the water, Burr said. While the threshold is different, he said it’s important to examine the issue and debate whether the federal government is responsible for their care.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

national

Congress helps Camp Lejeune families hurt by tainted water

July 31, 2012 12:00 AM

congress

Senate passes Lejeune water-contamination bill

July 18, 2012 12:00 AM

politics-government

Sen. DeMint blocks bill for Marines’ Lejeune water victims

July 17, 2012 12:00 AM

Read Next

Congress

Nancy Pelosi is now second in line to the presidency. Who else is on the list?

By Jared Gilmour

January 03, 2019 03:49 PM

Nancy Pelosi’s rise to House Speaker makes her in line to succeed to the presidency after Vice President Pence. Iowa Senator Chuck Grassley, president pro tempore of the upper chamber, is in line after Pelosi.

KEEP READING

MORE WHITE HOUSE

Congress

Rand Paul rips Mitt Romney Trump critique as ‘sour grapes’

January 02, 2019 03:12 PM

National

Yosemite visitors turn roads into toilets as shutdown crises mount at national parks

January 01, 2019 10:55 AM

Congress

‘The time for accountability has arrived’ as Democrats put White House under microscope

January 01, 2019 05:00 AM

White House

Republicans expect the worst in 2019 but see glimmers of hope from doom and gloom

December 31, 2018 05:00 AM

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

Investigations

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service