U.S. reviews aid to Egypt, debates whether it was a coup | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

White House

U.S. reviews aid to Egypt, debates whether it was a coup

By Lesley Clark and William Douglas - McClatchy Washington Bureau

July 03, 2013 08:23 PM

The United States will review – but not automatically cut off – the $1.5 billion in aid it sends to Egypt annually in the wake of the military ouster of President Mohammed Morsi and the suspension of the country’s constitution, President Barack Obama said Wednesday.

U.S. law calls for the military and economic aid to be suspended when an elected head of government is removed by military coup d’etat or decree. Obama on Wednesday stopped short of using the word “coup” in his carefully worded statement.

Instead, he called on the military to “move quickly and responsibly to return full authority back to a democratically elected civilian government as soon as possible through an inclusive and transparent process.” He also cautioned against any “arbitrary arrests” of Morsi and his supporters.

The military ouster poses a vexing problem for the Obama administration as it and many lawmakers have long considered the $1.3 billion in military aid critical to stability and U.S. interests in the turbulent Middle East.

Indeed, members of Congress also avoided using the word “coup” in statements Wednesday, with House Majority Leader Eric Cantor saying the Egyptian military “has long been a key partner of the United States and a stabilizing force in the region, and is perhaps the only trusted national institution in Egypt today.”

But Sen. Patrick Leahy, D-Vt., chairman of the Budget Committee that oversees State Department aid, said that although Egypt’s military leaders have said they have no plans to govern, U.S. law is clear: “U.S. aid is cut off when a democratically elected government is deposed by military coup or decree.”

Leahy, who was among a number of members of Congress who threatened earlier this year to cut off Egypt’s funding over its treatment of international civil society workers, said his committee would review future aid to Egypt “as we wait for a clearer picture.”

And he added, “As the world’s oldest democracy, this is a time to reaffirm our commitment to the principle that transfers of power should be by the ballot, not by force of arms.”

In contrast, House Foreign Affairs Committee Chairman Ed Royce, R-Calif., said he hoped Morsi’s ouster would improve the situation in Egypt.

“I encourage the military and all political parties to cooperate in the peaceful establishment of democratic institutions and new elections that lead to an Egypt where minority rights are protected,” he said.

The White House, which released a photograph Friday of Obama meeting with his national security team in the White House situation room to discuss the developments in Egypt, did not have to immediately rule whether the ouster was a coup.

The administration in 2009 suspended some education and military aid to Honduras in the wake of the ouster of President Manuel Zelaya but never suspended all the country’s aid, saying it was still looking at whether Zelaya’s removal met the definition of a military coup under U.S. law.

The U.S. has provided significant military and economic assistance to Egypt since the late 1970s aimed at sustaining the 1979 Camp David Egyptian-Israeli peace treaty.

“You probably won’t hear the U.S. government call this a coup, you’ll probably hear a different terminology used because if it’s a true coup it does raise questions about U.S. assistance,” said Michael Singh, a former director for Middle East affairs at the National Security Council under President George W. Bush who’s now with the Washington Institute for Near East Policy, a research center.

Singh noted that the military assistance, along with training and officer exchanges, has afforded the U.S. a critical relationship with the Egyptian military.

“I think U.S. policymakers will be even more loath to put that on the table or give that up, given that the military’s proven so pivotal in these transitions,” Singh said.

Edward Djerejian, founding director of Rice University’s Baker Institute for Public Policy and a former U.S. ambassador to Syria and Israel, said he believed it would be difficult to categorize the ouster as a “classic” military coup.

He noted that the country’s defense minister, Gen. Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi, announced the plans surrounded by other Egyptians, including the head of the Coptic Church, Salafists and Islamists.

“What the Egyptian military is portraying now is that it was responding to the will of the people,” Djerejian said. “It is not a military coup that’s generated by the military alone, they’re responding to the will of the people who voted with their feet in the millions, and what they’re proposing is an inclusive government that represents the various factions.”

But the aid may be one of few U.S. options to influence events in the Middle East.

“Washington loves to think it’s central to everything and, really, it’s not,” said Shibley Telhami, a Middle East analyst for the Brookings Institution and a University of Maryland professor. “It’s not a failure or a success. This is about Egypt finding its way. It’s not about Washington.”

Ali Watkins of the Washington Bureau contributed.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

Egyptian military overthrows Morsi, targets Muslim Brotherhood

July 03, 2013 10:21 AM

world

Muslim Brotherhood calls supporters to streets after military sets 48-hour deadline

July 01, 2013 03:41 PM

Read Next

Investigations

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

By Peter Stone and

Greg Gordon

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

One of Michael Cohen’s mobile phones briefly lit up cell towers in late summer of 2016 in the vicinity of Prague, undercutting his denials that he secretly met there with Russian officials, four people have told McClatchy.

KEEP READING

MORE WHITE HOUSE

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM

National Security

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

December 21, 2018 04:51 PM

Immigration

Leading Republicans question Trump plan to deport Vietnamese refugees, some in US over 20 years

December 21, 2018 01:43 PM

Congress

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

White House

Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

December 20, 2018 05:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service