Obama drops proposed tax increase on college savings plans | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

White House

Obama drops proposed tax increase on college savings plans

By Kevin G. Hall and Lesley Clark - McClatchy Washington Bureau

January 27, 2015 06:35 PM

Under bipartisan pressure, the White House Tuesday quietly abandoned a proposal to raise taxes on a popular program used to save for college.

President Barack Obama had proposed earlier this month to eliminate tax breaks adopted in 2001 for new contributions to 529 college savings plans. But he faced a backlash in the recent week from members of both political parties, as well as operators and users of the state-based plans.

“A tremendous outpouring of support for retaining these 529 tax incentives has come from 529 plans, members of Congress, the media, and, most importantly, the families who have benefited and are benefiting from their participation in a 529 plan and achieved a better life through post-secondary education,” said an alert from the Virginia program.

A White House official, speaking on condition of anonymity as part of administration policy, said that Obama decided to drop the proposal after a personal plea from House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., aboard Air Force One en route from India to Saudi Arabia. The top Democrat on the House Budget Committee, Maryland’s Chris Van Hollen, also lobbied the administration.

Republicans also pressed to drop the proposal.

The 529s, created in 1996 and established now in nearly every state, work similar to a 401K retirement plan or an individual retirement account, where money is invested and grows without being taxed if upon withdrawal it is used for college tuition or qualified college expenses.

There are an estimated 7 million plans now in existence.

“I’m glad President Obama has decided to listen to the American people and withdraw his tax hike on college savings,” House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, said. “This tax would have hurt middle-class families already struggling to get ahead.”

Sen. Charles Grassley, R-Iowa, who was chairman of the Finance Committee when the 529s were modified in 2001 and boomed, said the programs are popular among the middle class.

“The statistics suggest that Iowa’s program is used by parents and grandparents who are making an effort to set aside money to save for their children and grandchildren’s education,” Grassley said.

The issue is far from dead, as Republicans had already been pushing to expand the use of 529s. Rep. Lynn Jenkins, R-Kansas, has already introduced bipartisan legislation to expand a tool many families use to save for college.

“It took a public backlash for the president to realize that taxing college savings plans was a bad idea. But withdrawing the proposal is not enough,” said Rep Paul Ryan, R-Wis., the new chairman of the tax-writing House Ways and Means Committee, calling on Obama to support Jenkins’s plan.

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WHITE HOUSE

Investigations

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM

National Security

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

December 21, 2018 04:51 PM

Immigration

Leading Republicans question Trump plan to deport Vietnamese refugees, some in US over 20 years

December 21, 2018 01:43 PM

Congress

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service