WikiLeaks revelations come as little surprise to many Iraqis | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Special Reports

WikiLeaks revelations come as little surprise to many Iraqis

Jane Arraf, The Christian Science Monitor/McClatchy - The Christian Science Monitor/McClatchy

October 23, 2010 05:10 PM

BAGHDAD — The trove of leaked secret U.S. military documents filtered its way through top levels in Iraq on Saturday, with Prime Minister Nouri al Maliki saying they could be as evidence in court cases and the U.S. denying that it turned a blind eye to torture.

For ordinary Iraqis, it didn't appear to have sunk in that the 400,000 documents, released Friday by the WikiLeaks website, contained details of the violent deaths of thousands of people that could finally provide answers and even evidence for some of the tragedies of the war.

The documents include indications of widespread Iraqi abuse of prisoners seemingly unaddressed by U.S. forces, a much higher Iraqi death toll than had been admitted, including among Iraqis killed at U.S. checkpoints, and fears of Iranian influence.

The U.S. military said it won't comment on the specifics of the documents, which it maintains remain secret despite now being in the public domain.

The deputy commander of U.S. forces in Iraq denied the implication in many of the documents that U.S. forces witnessing abuse or torture of detainees by their Iraqi captors had turned a blind eye.

"It is not a gray area," Lt. General Robert Cone told the Monitor in an interview Saturday. "We have an obligation when we see something like this that it is reported, and it is dealt with with our Iraqi counterparts."

He said he hadn't seen the documents.

Cone, who's in charge of ground forces in Iraq, said the U.S. military closely tracks Iraqi civilian deaths. Previous military commands have said they don't keep figures of Iraqi casualties, in what has been widely interpreted as an attempt to downplay the number of Iraqis killed during the war that was to liberate them.

"It's a tragedy the loss of life in any war . . . I can tell you we track civilian casualties today in this headquarters, and we work very closely with our Iraqi headquarters to make sure they are tracking civilian casualties," Cone said.

A British-based anti-war group, Iraq Body Count, said Saturday that it's raising its estimate of Iraqi civilians killed during the war to 122,000 from about 107,000 as a result of the leaked information.

The files, mostly comprised of "significant activities" recorded daily by the military for any significant development, are the raw, ground-level data often later revised. They provide, though, a picture of Iraq through the eyes of the U.S. military on the ground through the darkest days of the war.

The documents span almost the entire length of the war, including the past four years under Maliki, when sectarian violence almost ripped the country apart.

In a statement Saturday, Maliki's office said the timing of the leaks was questionable, implying that it was motivated by his political enemies. The Shiite prime minister has struggled for the past seven months to keep his job, demanding a recount of votes that left him two seats behind his nearest rival and now trying to patch together a coalition government.

The statement said the documentation of killings by private U.S. security contractors such as Blackwater, accused of a shooting spree that killed 17 civilians in 2007 in an incident that became a symbol of American brutality, could be used in court cases against the company, now called Xe Services.

"We stress once again the necessity of taking these documents into consideration to achieve justice for our citizens who might have been the victims of their unbridled aggression," it read.

Maliki's office said it would examine politically explosive allegations of torture and killings by Iraqi security forces as accusations "that must be looked into cautiously and investigated."

Maliki's main rival, the Iraqiya coalition, said the reports reinforced the need to curb his powers. His own Shiite partners have called for changes that would restrict his power to act unilaterally — a main complaint of his former allies.

The documents, which were released too late to be in Saturday newspapers in Iraq, attracted less attention than expected among ordinary Iraqis, with many of them saying they're unsurprised by any accounts of abuse by either Americans or Iraqis.

(McClatchy special correspondent Mohammad al Dulaimy contributed to this article.)

ON THE WEB

The Iraq War Diaries on WikiLeaks

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Iran backs Iraq's Maliki for second term

Iraqi police still struggle with insecurity as U.S. departs

Obama: Time to turn the page on U.S. mission in Iraq

Gates: Iraq outcome will always be clouded by how it began

McClatchy's Inside Iraq blog

Related stories from McClatchy DC

HOMEPAGE

Inside Iraq

June 24, 2010 10:51 AM

HOMEPAGE

More McClatchy coverage of Iraq

May 28, 2010 03:23 PM

politics-government

Sherrod and WikiLeaks: Journalism confronts media frenzy

July 28, 2010 06:36 PM

Read Next

Russia

Trump’s inner circle: The ties to Russia

McClatchy

September 07, 2018 01:37 PM

An interactive web that explores the timelines and stories of the people in President Donald Trump’s inner circle. From Paul Manafort to Michael Cohen, discover their ties to Russia and Trump.

KEEP READING

MORE SPECIAL REPORTS

National

'A Mickey Mouse operation': How Panama Papers law firm dumped clients, lost Miami office

June 20, 2018 01:00 PM

Special Reports

The secret shell game

April 03, 2016 11:16 AM

Special Reports

Translators forced to take DEA polygraphs awarded $4 million in damages

April 23, 2015 04:05 PM

Special Reports

Forcing court translators to take lie detector tests illegal, judge rules

October 31, 2014 04:04 PM

Special Reports

No lie: Obama administration issues new polygraph policy

October 01, 2014 03:26 PM

Special Reports

Spy satellite agency says it fixed its ‘broken’ polygraph program

May 15, 2014 06:01 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service