Commentary: Sudan's al-Bashir should pay for Darfur's suffering | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Opinion

Commentary: Sudan's al-Bashir should pay for Darfur's suffering

The Miami Herald

March 09, 2009 10:46 AM

This editorial appeared in The Miami Herald.

For six years, President Omar al-Bashir of Sudan has masterminded the systematic attacks that brought death to some 300,000 people in the western region of Darfur. Last week, the International Criminal Court finally issued an arrest warrant for him in recognition of the Sudanese president's responsibility for the horrifying slaughter and the abject failure of all diplomatic efforts to make him end the suffering.

His reaction? To order the immediate expulsion of 6,500 relief workers from 13 of the largest aid groups whose efforts keep millions of people alive in squalid refugee camps. Translation: No more Mr. Nice Guy.

This is typical of Mr. al-Bashir's reckless disregard for the lives of those caught up in the Arab-dominated government's war on black, non-Arab rebels in Darfur. The arrest warrant cites five counts of crimes against humanity and two counts of war crimes. An ICC spokesman put it more dramatically and, we think, more accurately: He is, she said, criminally responsible for "murdering, exterminating, raping, torturing and forcibly transferring large numbers of civilians."

It's unlikely that Mr. al-Bashir will appear before the ICC anytime soon. Like the United States, Sudan isn't a party to the court and says it won't hand over its president or two others charged in connection with crimes in Darfur.

That's not the point, though. The arrest warrant makes Mr. al-Bashir an international criminal and fugitive from justice, a pariah. It also sends the message that crimes of such magnitude will not be tolerated and that those responsible for them can expect that one day they will have to stand in the dock and listen to a harsh verdict.

To read the complete editorial, visit The Miami Herald.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

U.N., Darfur rebels warn Sudan over expelling aid groups

March 06, 2009 01:57 PM

world

Defiant Sudan quickly expels aid agencies, imperiling Darfur

March 05, 2009 03:04 PM

world

Warrant for Sudan's president's arrest could spark backlash

March 04, 2009 09:25 AM

Read Next

Opinion

This is not what Vladimir Putin wanted for Christmas

By Markos Kounalakis

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Orthodox Christian religious leaders worldwide are weakening an important institution that gave the Russian president outsize power and legitimacy.

KEEP READING

MORE OPINION

Opinion

The solution to the juvenile delinquency problem in our nation’s politics

December 18, 2018 06:00 AM

Opinion

High-flying U.S. car execs often crash when when they run into foreign laws

December 13, 2018 06:09 PM

Opinion

Putin wants to divide the West. Can Trump thwart his plan?

December 11, 2018 06:00 AM

Opinion

George H.W. Bush, Pearl Harbor and America’s other fallen

December 07, 2018 03:42 AM

Opinion

George H.W. Bush’s secret legacy: his little-known kind gestures to many

December 04, 2018 06:00 AM

Opinion

Nicaragua’s ‘House of Cards’ stars another corrupt and powerful couple

November 29, 2018 07:50 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service