Commentary: GM needs complete overhaul | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Opinion

Commentary: GM needs complete overhaul

The Kansas City Star

March 16, 2009 12:05 PM

This editorial appeared in The Kansas City Star.

General Motors chief executive Rick Wagoner insists that if the troubled carmaker filed for bankruptcy, the result would be a disaster for the industry and a drop in revenue so steep that GM could not recover.

But as the company's difficulties mount, a certain type of bankruptcy – one financed by the federal government – could be the least-bad option for GM's long-term viability.

Restructuring via bankruptcy would likely result in a company more thoroughly transformed and better able to survive than the out-of-court, government-supervised process GM is now undergoing.

General Motors, which employs 2,400 workers at the Fairfax plant in Kansas City, Kan., has received $13.4 billion in federal loans.

Last month, the company said it would require up to $16.6 billion more, although GM said last week that it would not need a $2 billion loan scheduled for March.

It has submitted a restructuring plan to the Obama administration, and has until March 31 to complete negotiations with its union and its bondholders.

In a recent filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission, the company said that because of continuing losses, its ability to continue as a "going concern" was at risk.

To read the complete editorial, visit The Kansas City Star.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

HOMEPAGE

More commentary by The Kansas City Star

December 15, 2008 02:04 PM

Read Next

Opinion

This is not what Vladimir Putin wanted for Christmas

By Markos Kounalakis

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Orthodox Christian religious leaders worldwide are weakening an important institution that gave the Russian president outsize power and legitimacy.

KEEP READING

MORE OPINION

Opinion

The solution to the juvenile delinquency problem in our nation’s politics

December 18, 2018 06:00 AM

Opinion

High-flying U.S. car execs often crash when when they run into foreign laws

December 13, 2018 06:09 PM

Opinion

Putin wants to divide the West. Can Trump thwart his plan?

December 11, 2018 06:00 AM

Opinion

George H.W. Bush, Pearl Harbor and America’s other fallen

December 07, 2018 03:42 AM

Opinion

George H.W. Bush’s secret legacy: his little-known kind gestures to many

December 04, 2018 06:00 AM

Opinion

Nicaragua’s ‘House of Cards’ stars another corrupt and powerful couple

November 29, 2018 07:50 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service