Commentary: Ending stop-loss a good move | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Opinion

Commentary: Ending stop-loss a good move

The Miami Herald

March 26, 2009 12:12 PM

This editorial appeared in The Miami Herald.

The Defense Department isn't known for its family-friendly policies, though the "modern" Army understands better today that families play an important role in a soldier's overall performance. One of the Pentagon's most unpopular policies implemented after 9/11 has had a devastating effect on military families. It's called stop-loss.

When placed under stop-loss, tens of thousands of reserves and active-duty soldiers were prevented from leaving the military when they planned if they were to be deployed to Afghanistan or Iraq. The reason for stop-loss was simple enough: The military would have been stretched too thin, especially after the Iraq invasion, if it didn't delay plans by thousands of soldiers to muster out.

Defense Secretary Robert Gates said this policy breaks faith with military families, and last week announced that he would work to significantly reduce, if not eliminate, the practice over the next two years. What changed is the Obama administration's plans to reduce U.S. troop levels in Iraq faster than they are increased in Afghanistan – plus the expansion of the active-duty Army roster to more than 547,000 troops.

This surely was welcome news to soldiers and their families. Right now more than 13,000 soldiers are unable to leave the military because they are under stop-loss orders. The policy undercuts families' plans and causes extra hardship. For that reason, and to restore the broken faith he spoke of, Mr. Gates also said the Pentagon would provide an extra $500 per month to troops under stop-loss, retroactive to last October. This is only fair. These soldiers – their plans on hold, their risks extended – deserve no less.

To read the complete editorial, visit The Miami Herald.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

U.S. military to halt 'stop loss' service extensions for troops

March 18, 2009 07:24 PM

Read Next

Opinion

A preview of 2019 and a few New Year’s resolutions for Trump and Pelosi

By Andrew Malcolm Special to McClatchy

January 02, 2019 06:00 AM

The president might resolve to keep his mouth shut some and silencing his cellphone more this year. Pelosi too could work on her public speaking and maybe use notes a bit more to remind of the subject at hand.

KEEP READING

MORE OPINION

Opinion

The West has long militarized space. China plans to weaponize it. Not good.

December 27, 2018 04:52 PM

Opinion

Trump’s artless deal: The president’s Syria decision will have long-term consequences

December 26, 2018 06:00 AM

Opinion

This is not what Vladimir Putin wanted for Christmas

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Opinion

The solution to the juvenile delinquency problem in our nation’s politics

December 18, 2018 06:00 AM

Opinion

High-flying U.S. car execs often crash when when they run into foreign laws

December 13, 2018 06:09 PM

Opinion

Putin wants to divide the West. Can Trump thwart his plan?

December 11, 2018 06:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service