Commentary: Obama must keep promise on better airport security | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Opinion

Commentary: Obama must keep promise on better airport security

The Rock Hill Herald

January 07, 2010 02:14 PM

The failure of U.S. officials at several levels to connect the dots leading to Nigerian Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, the so-called underwear bomber, was alarming. But the close call at least provides an incentive and an opportunity to review airport security procedures from top to bottom.

"This was a screw-up that could have been disastrous," President Obama reportedly told a gathering of top administration officials Tuesday. "We dodged a bullet, but just barely. It was averted by brave individuals, not because the system worked — and that is not acceptable."

Later, the president outlined reviews he has ordered of airline screening procedures and U.S. intelligence. He added that new security measures would be announced in coming days.

Obama also conceded that even more "red flags" regarding Abdulmutallab had been reported than initially acknowledged but that "it is increasingly clear that intelligence was not fully analyzed or fully leveraged." The president said he could not tolerate that.

It is reassuring, at least, that the red flags went up. The failure to tag Abdulmutallab as an aspiring terrorist was more the result of human error than a systemic breakdown of the intelligence apparatus. The intelligence was there, according to the administration, but people in key positions failed to utilize it.

In any case, it is chilling to consider how close Abdulmutallab came to bringing down an airliner over Detroit with 300 people aboard. In the end, luck and fast-acting passengers saved the day.

To read the complete editorial, visit The Rock Hill Herald.

Read Next

Opinion

This is not what Vladimir Putin wanted for Christmas

By Markos Kounalakis

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Orthodox Christian religious leaders worldwide are weakening an important institution that gave the Russian president outsize power and legitimacy.

KEEP READING

MORE OPINION

Opinion

The solution to the juvenile delinquency problem in our nation’s politics

December 18, 2018 06:00 AM

Opinion

High-flying U.S. car execs often crash when when they run into foreign laws

December 13, 2018 06:09 PM

Opinion

Putin wants to divide the West. Can Trump thwart his plan?

December 11, 2018 06:00 AM

Opinion

George H.W. Bush, Pearl Harbor and America’s other fallen

December 07, 2018 03:42 AM

Opinion

George H.W. Bush’s secret legacy: his little-known kind gestures to many

December 04, 2018 06:00 AM

Opinion

Nicaragua’s ‘House of Cards’ stars another corrupt and powerful couple

November 29, 2018 07:50 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service