Commentary: No guns for no-fly list members | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Opinion

Commentary: No guns for no-fly list members

The Sacramento Bee

May 10, 2010 12:56 PM

A surprised Tom Campbell uttered: "Oh, my goodness." Truer words could not have been spoken.

During last week's debate among the three Republicans seeking to unseat U.S. Sen. Barbara Boxer, a questioner asked whether people on the U.S. no-fly list, also known as the terrorist watch list, should be entitled to buy guns.

Campbell, the first to answer, put it perfectly: "No." Next up was Chuck DeVore, who said people on the terrorist watch list have a Second Amendment right to buy firearms, so long as they have not been convicted of a crime.

Astonishingly, Carly Fiorina, former head of Hewlett-Packard, agreed with DeVore, essentially siding with people deemed so dangerous they cannot legally fly on airlines.

The Government Accountability Office says individuals on the watch list bought firearms or explosives 1,119 times between 2004 and February 2010; only 109 were denied.

As it happens, there was a hearing last week in the U.S. Senate on Senate Bill 1317. The bill, carried by Sen. Frank Lautenberg, D-N.J., and co-sponsored by Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., and supported by Boxer, would ban people who are on the no-fly list from buying guns or explosives.

To read the complete editorial, visit www.sacbee.com.

Read Next

Opinion

This is not what Vladimir Putin wanted for Christmas

By Markos Kounalakis

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Orthodox Christian religious leaders worldwide are weakening an important institution that gave the Russian president outsize power and legitimacy.

KEEP READING

MORE OPINION

Opinion

The solution to the juvenile delinquency problem in our nation’s politics

December 18, 2018 06:00 AM

Opinion

High-flying U.S. car execs often crash when when they run into foreign laws

December 13, 2018 06:09 PM

Opinion

Putin wants to divide the West. Can Trump thwart his plan?

December 11, 2018 06:00 AM

Opinion

George H.W. Bush, Pearl Harbor and America’s other fallen

December 07, 2018 03:42 AM

Opinion

George H.W. Bush’s secret legacy: his little-known kind gestures to many

December 04, 2018 06:00 AM

Opinion

Nicaragua’s ‘House of Cards’ stars another corrupt and powerful couple

November 29, 2018 07:50 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service